Opinions sought - TENS machines

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Hi all, Can I ask your opinion on TENS machines? Invaluable? Waste of money? Worth a shot? All comments gratefully received! Thanks!
mumc Posts: 13
Hi Mysteriousmise, I think that it's a very individual thing whether you like or dislike a TENS Machine. When I was in labour with my daughter I didn't have any pain relief and the Midwife suggested using the TENS Machine. She attached it and turned it on and...... I nearly hit the roof. I swear to God it was the worst sensation I have ever experienced! :ooh Conversely I have several friends who absolutely swear by it. I think you have to strap it on to find out :o0
BipsyBoo Posts: 1534
Wouldn't have managed without mine! Such a relief and it kept me focused.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
I didn't have pain relief on DD and nurse gave me a TENS to use. I don't think it eased the pain at all but it DID distract from it. You should rent one from Boots rather than buy one.
pag Posts: 633
The thing with TENS machines is that you have to start using it early on so that you can build up the intensity as your contractions build too. I used it until I got to 7cm and found it great. then I moved to the entonox and kinda forgot about the tens machine. Remembered it was still attached after DD was born. Also my contractions were all in the front whereas the tens was attached to my back so I found it was more distraction that actually helping with pain. It is very individual whether it will provide any relief for you. Some love it and others hate it. Until you are in the situation you really won't know. It kinda feels like the slendertone machines if you have ever used them. You can rent from Medicare or Boots.
Anonmama Posts: 239
I used it, I think it was a great distraction if nothing else! The hospital supplied mine so check that out...I also agree with the previous poster, put it on as soon as labour starts, it makes all the difference.
MrsDr Posts: 1316
I priced rental against buying one and for about €5 more I bought one online. I didnt use it once O:| !! Waters broke so had to go into hospital immediately. Contractions came so thick and fast, were 3 mins apart when I made it into hospital (we live 20min drive away :eek ) that I didnt even get a chance to attach it, I was too busy trying to focus on breathing I couldnt even contemplate trying to put it on! Having said that my friend found it amazing, and didnt need any drugs onlt gas and air :o)ll :o)ll
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
I had back labour with my dd and the midwife suggested using a TENS machine, I tried it but don't think it helped the pain much :(
frazzledkitty Posts: 882
sorry for butting in but Lidl are selling TENS machines at the moment for under 20 euro if i remember. was in there with my husband last weekend and he was looking at one for his friend who is a physio, might be worth a look
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
Well for 20 euro it would definitely be worth a try :)