OPK - how good?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

McMummy Posts: 1041
Only our first month TTC and I’m on 2ww at moment but I really don’t think I’m going to get BFP this month. Although I had almost convinced myself, I might be last week. Anyway we originally wanted to just go by if it happens it happens but since reading a lot of posts on here I realise it might take a really long time. As we are both in our mid 30’s I think it might be no harm charting and using OPK. After a long winded intro here’s my question did many of you mums to be get pregnant quickly after you started using them or did you find it still took some time? Don’t want to be expecting too much…
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Good luck with the rest of your 2ww. I know how hard it is especially the 2nd week. Anyway with my first BFP we got in on our 4th month of using opk. This time around it was 2nd month trying. Now I must say that yes opk (btw never charted didn't feel the need) are great in pinpointing when you ovulate but we did some extra things because even if you BD right when you ovulate you still only hvae 25% chance of success. So aswell as opk I took evening primrose oil on first day of AF and DH took zinc with vitamin B tablets. Bought them in dunnes. Also we did the Sperm meets the egg plan. IF you look over on TTC forum in the stickys I have put down what this is. On both months of BFP we did the above. Best of luck. Hope this helps
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Hi, I got my BFP on the 2nd month using OPKs. Didn't use anything else, and didn't change lifestyle either. I didn't tell DH I was using them though, thought it would put too much pressure on him to 'perform'. But I know everyone's different. Good luck in any case :wv
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
I got my BFP on 2nd month with OPK too. Personally my cycle was so irregular that it was the only way I could pinpoint OV. I'd definately recommend it!
Ferdi Posts: 704
Hi got BFP on first month with OPK. Didn't tell DH as Tigletts said, didn't want him under any pressure. My cycle was a bit all over the shop so found it great. Good Luck !
McMummy Posts: 1041
That all sounds very positive thanks for that, would you recommend one brand over any other, sorry if this has been asked lots of times before.
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Iused Boots own brand first but the are fiddly and its difficult to read if its showing a positive or not. Then I switched to Clear Blue Digital - pricey but fool proof. Smiley face means baby making time!!!! :o0
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
I used them too, and did charting. We didn't want to hang about :o0 and we got lucky second month trying. I bought all OPKs and preg tests on . I think I got 50 OPKs and 50 HPTs for 30 euro! You'd be broke buying the ones in the chemist. Best of luck.
fraggle rocker Posts: 1426
Can I just hi jack this post and ask how many days you girls tested for. I have a 30 day cycle and tested from day 14 to 20 and got no smiley face. As you said they are a bit pricey to test for the whole month. :o( So beginning to think i'm not ovulating also temping which are all over the place as well.
kosheen Posts: 179
Star2007 i got my smiley face on day 22 of my cycle. My cycle is between 30 & 34 days, they are quite expensive but well worth the money if you get your BFP. Maybe next month start on day 14 right through.