Our best man ruined our wedding night

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Charli09 Posts: 235
We were asked by the BM’s wife two weeks before our wedding to pay for their hotel room, unfortunately we couldn’t afford this last minute additional expense and explained that money was really tight and we didn’t have any spare cash. We had already paid for the BM’s flights, hotel, accommodation and spending money so he could attend the stag weekend as he was a little short of money at the time. As the BM and his wife were unhappy….they decided to pay us back. The BM used the speech that he’d given at another wedding two weeks before our own, therefore, none of the information in the speech was relevant and even made my DH look a complete idiot and it made me look like an idiot for marrying him. People kept coming up to us during the evening and asking us if any of it was true. It was that bad. Later in the evening the BM then offered to put our suitcases in our hotel room, we didn’t think too much of this and gave him the key as we thought he was trying to redeem himself….big mistake. I popped back to the hotel room later in the evening to freshen up and as I opened the door I found toilet rolls had been strung across the room. They’d removed the mattress completely from the four poster bed and left it on the floor…I later found my veil crushed under the mattress. They’d removed all the bedding and chucked the pillows all over the room. They’d removed all the wooden mattress supports and hidden them so we had to hunt around for them before we could put the mattress back. What ever you do don’t let the key to your hotel room out of your sight. Our wedding night was completely ruined, I was in tears and completely devastated that someone could do this to us. Don’t let this happen to you.
Goodfellas Posts: 979
That is unreal, so sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can try to put it behind you and focus on the positives of your day. Did they think they were being funny, like a prank? Or do you think it was malicious? Michael
fish12 Posts: 389
h
jen09 Posts: 1390
Oh my god, you porr thing that is just dreadful. Why would he treat your hubby like that :eek I suppose the best thing you can do is forget about him & his actions, it is unforgivable but try not to let it eat your up & take away from what I sure was a fantastic day.
Charli09 Posts: 235
I wanted to get another room, but my DH refused and said that he wasn't going to let them get any satisfaction from what they'd done. Eveyone knew we'd had a bad day as the Preist ruined our service and the hairdresser turned up late. We didn't get on with the Priest, as some of you may remember from other posts that I'd had a lot of problems with the Priest and he spent the whole service making digs about me being late for the service. I was late because my hairdresser had turned up 2 and a half hours late. The Priest called me at 2pm and said if I wasn't there in 20 mins he'd cancel our wedding. He was so nasty that we're going to have to cut out most of the serice from our video. He also kept his head down in all the photos. I spent the whole journey to the church trying to hold back tears. Why do people have to be so horrible?
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
There's is no way that was a 'joke' taken the wrong way. That guy and his wife sound like bitter, sad people. I'm sorry they are having a tough time but that is no reason to treat anyone the way they treated you and H2B. You'd be better off with them out of your lives for good if you ask me.
MrsEL10 Posts: 910
That's awful you poor thing.. hope you're OK..
BlossomHill Posts: 2169
Charli09 I hope your husband has seen fit to discontinue this friendship. Who needs enemeies when you have friends like this. BTW - Congratulations to you both.
MISSUS2BE Posts: 225
Hi Charlie09, I couldn’t read your post and not reply. Something similar happened to us on our wedding day. One of the groomsmen (who was a childhood friend of hubbie, unbeknownst to us, he wasn’t impressed at not being asked to be bestman) decided to get the key to our room from my bridesmaid, he told her it was a “tradition” to pull a prank on the married couple so him, my bridesmaid, another groomsmen and a guest at our wedding went into our room and throw toilet roll all over or suite, there was a four-poster in the room so the toilet roll was strung all around it and he blew up condoms and left them on the bed and left a condom wrapper on the door to our room, when we went up to bed I saw this on the door handle and thought “fair enough that’s someone trying to be funny” anyway we went in to the room and saw all the toilet roll around the place, I was shocked and hubbie couldn’t believe it, after a few phone calls we found out who was behind it and hubbie gave him a right earful down the phone. To make a long story short we tidied up the room and tried to put it behind us. I tried to forget about it the following day at our after party and then on honeymoon, but once I got back to reality it started to really bug me and the more I thought about it the more it got on my nerves to the point where I had lost sight of the fact that I married my best friend that day, I had lots of different special moments throughout the day and I started remembering them more than what happened that night, the times that I spoke to my hubbie about it and asked was he still annoyed about it, he said that “he never gave it a second thought after that because life’s too short and marriage isn’t just one day and one night you spend together it’s the rest of your life together”. I know from your post that certain things didn’t go well on the day i.e. your priest and hairdresser but in months to come (im married four months) you will get over this and please don’t let it overshadow you and your hubbie standing at the altar exchanging rings because at the end of the day its just you and your hubbie and that groomsmen and his wife obviously don’t have a very happy marriage if that’s what they think is funny, pm is anytime :o)ll
midnightqueen Posts: 582
That is terrible!!!! O:| My blood is just boiling thinking about it. :eek How could someone who has such a big part in your day be such Pr#ck!!!! >:o( >:o( >:o( And as for his wife!!!! Your better off without the likes of them. Hope your ok :thnk