Our new "leaders"

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Walking Bump Posts: 2095
Anybody any thoughts? I didn't see any drastic changes apart from Mary Hanafin getting booted down to social welfare. :o0 Can't stand her. That and maybe Brian Lenihan.... that's a big jump up considering he's only been a minister for one year.
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
Mary Coughlan as Tanaiste!!! Horrifying. The woman is so rough around the edges that it will be embarrassing to have her representing the country. Half the world already thinks we're potato-digging half wits. A pity Mary Hanafin has been moved, she was ideally suited to Education.
willful Posts: 6822
[quote="lets go fly a kite":30nyyfel]Mary Coughlan as Tanaiste!!! Horrifying. The woman is so rough around the edges that it will be embarrassing to have her representing the country. Half the world already thinks we're potato-digging half wits. [b:30nyyfel]A pity Mary Hanafin has been moved, she was ideally suited to Education[/b:30nyyfel].[/quote:30nyyfel] There'll be quite a few teachers delighted!
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
Bit OT but whats the story with the new VEC school in D15 that only 13 pupils enrolled in ?? Were there not huge overcrowding issues in D15 and surrounding areas last year ?
[quote="lets go fly a kite":38y8049c] A pity Mary Hanafin has been moved, she was ideally suited to Education.[/quote:38y8049c] I have to disagree. I never thought she suited the role. By far the best Minister for Education was Micheal Martin. Mary O'Rourke was laughable when she was there but she's just off the wall anyway.
Hepburn Posts: 4081
Brian Lenihan as Minister for Finance means Brian Cowen will have maximum influence over the budget as they are best buds. If I was Brian Lenihan I would be planking it....tough times ahead and he is only in the cabinet door 11 months. Disappointed that Micheal Martin got moved sideways as he will always have my admiration for the smoking ban. I have watched him on panels many times and he is unflapable. He was the obvious choice for finance to me but Brian Cowen would have had a fight on his hands over any disagreements.
graceface Posts: 3632
[quote="Hepburn":2hg32xiq]Brian Lenihan as Minister for Finance means Brian Cowen will have maximum influence over the budget as they are best buds. If I was Brian Lenihan I would be planking it....tough times ahead and he is only in the cabinet door 11 months. Disappointed that Micheal Martin got moved sideways as he will always have my admiration for the smoking ban. I have watched him on panels many times and he is unflapable. [b:2hg32xiq]He was the obvious choice for finance to me but Brian Cowen would have had a fight on his hands over any disagreements[/b:2hg32xiq].[/quote:2hg32xiq] True dat. On that note, do you think Cowen chose the people best suited to the roles, or the ones who were most malleable in them???
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
Given that old scarecrow is now our Tanaiste, I'd say he chose the most malleable candidates.
[quote="lets go fly a kite":1pdv9i5l]Given that old scarecrow is now our Tanaiste, I'd say he chose the most malleable candidates.[/quote:1pdv9i5l] :o0 :o0 :o0
Hepburn Posts: 4081
Well GF, I suppose it's pretty standard to surround yourself with allies and I think that's what he has done. Pity Brian has a face made for radio. He is a fantastic speaker and has a bit of swagger about him with his posture and demeanour but he just doesn't have the looks to match. I know it is a shallow thing to say but as LGFAK said, we are judged by how our leaders present themselves.