Out of interest - formula or breastfeed?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mommy2Two Posts: 704
On my first I expressed for 3.5 months & exclusively bottle fed EBM. I then switched to formula feeding. On my next I'd love to breastfeed - because I'd love this baby to have the benefit of breastmilk & couldn't handle longterm expressing again. I just find the idea of breastfeeding daunting. Just wondering what others plan to do?
xx fairy mommy xx Posts: 1833
I plan to go down the BF route but this is my first so hopefully it works out
Crusoe Posts: 128
I hope to breastfeed again, I breastfed my first. After the first two weeks of latching on pain, I found it so easy and I know I was blessed. I got none of the problems a lot of people suffer, mastitis, etc, and I found it so handy for getting out and about. I hope it goes so well next time, fingers crossed
strangeangel Posts: 1269
I breastfed my first too and although the first 6 weeks were tough, it was so worth it in the long run. Will definitely be breastfeeding this time around too. Don't think I'd have managed without the help of the Community Midwives - they're a great help if you're doing Domino or the Early Transfer Home Scheme. If you plan to try, it's definitely worth attending a breastfeeding class at the hospital in advance and making yourself aware of all the resources available in case you do run into problems once baby is here.
Daff Posts: 11644
BF both of mine. Found the second time round so much easier from the very start. I don't know how I'd cope having to prepare and heat bottles and not having a hand free to grab dd1 when feeding :o0
Crusoe Posts: 128
[quote="lovemybaby":8vvkvuu6]Found the second time round so much easier from the very start.[/quote:8vvkvuu6] Good to hear! :thnk
star13 Posts: 291
Hoping to breastfeed no.2, found it great last time, so fingers crossed it'll work this time. I'm a bit nervous as no.1 is only going to be 19 months but if it goes well it has to be easier than bottles. I hated them when switched to formula at 8 months.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Another one hoping to BF! Mam did it with all of us and I remember seeing her BFing my brother, so its very normal for me. I think the bond of BFing is so lovely, I'd really love it to work out. Good idea about classes, must look into them! :thnk
Pinkly Posts: 1414
I'm going to try breastfeed this baby but if it's not working out I'll have no hesitation switching to formula. DS was formula fed & now at 2yrs 8months he has only ever been sick twice!
Daff Posts: 11644
[quote="star13":1rhu31xd]Hoping to breastfeed no.2, found it great last time, so fingers crossed it'll work this time. I'm a bit nervous as no.1 is only going to be 19 months but if it goes well it has to be easier than bottles. I hated them when switched to formula at 8 months.[/quote:1rhu31xd] dd1 was 18 months when dd2 arrived. I also worried but it's so much easier, I find, than giving bottles. First time I tried to give dd2 EBM dd1 went mental as she thought it was her bottle and there was hysterics. I couldn't deal with that all the time. Also it means I've an arm free to walk around doing things for dd1 or have her sit on couch veside me and flick through books or just stroke her hair. Also very handy for just shutting dd2 up when she's cranky and my head is melted - I just ram the boob in :-8 :o0