overractive Thyroid & Pregnancy, am worried

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BlueP Posts: 238
I have a 15 week old baby & have been told by my doctor today that I have overactive thyroid & will need to start taking 3 tablets a day. I am starting these in two weeks when I wean the baby off breastfeeding, though I am only feeding her from breast 3 times in 24 hours & rest is formula. (dreading this, makes me sad to be stopping) I want to try for a second baby next year & worry about the implications of taking tablets. Anyone out there been through this ? Also any tips on weaning the baby, especially for going to sleep as she uses the breast as a big soother!!
jamseyjo Posts: 1132
My mother was only diagnosed with this. Your thyroid is pretty important as it regulates your hormones and metabolism. It's not as bad as an over active thyroid. My mam is flying it, that's about all I can say. Those tablets are important to take though
fxfor3 Posts: 2347
I've had and under active thyroid for years and take eltroxin for it had no problems during pregnancy they just monitor your bloods to keep an eye on your levels and may need to adjust your dose but the mediation is no harm to the baby
Mari yay Posts: 4045
My sister has been on thyroid medication for a few years, through her first pregnancy and now in her second. I'm sure they will keep a close eye on your bloods all should be fine.
Thanks girls, I feel so much better now. The tablets I am about to take are Neomercazole 5mg
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
Neomercazole is for an over active thyroid, not an underactive one - either way it's very important to take it, and in fact not treating it could affect your fertility.
Mrs Snuffleupagus Posts: 554
I have under active thyroid, diagnosed a couple of years ago. I breastfed for five months whilst taking my Eltroxin. I'd say it wouldn't mean you have to stop if you don't want to. Don't worry about the condition, apparently thyroid problems are quite common. The thyroid medication won't make conceiving any more difficult. It's quite important that your thyroid is functioning correctly to fall pregnant.
MrsScuttle Posts: 407
I'm currently pregnant and on eltroxin. No bother so far and none projected.. :) bloods done early on and will be checked again soon :) I know nothing about overactive I'm afraid :( the eltroxin only replaces what nature dosent make so no effect on baba
Thanks a million to everyone for replying. I meant to say overactive, I have baby brain at the minute and don't know why I typed underactive. My thyroid is overactive