Paid maternity leave question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Greece Posts: 1800
Hi - Im very lucky in that I get paid maternity in my job. Company will top up social to my net for the 6 months Im off. However, I've just told them in here and was speaking to HR. They said that what they do is NOT pay me anything for the 6 months Im off, I just claim the social, and when I come back then after the ml, they give me 'backpay' so to speak that Id be owed. Has anyone else heard of this? Most of my friends were just paid as normal on a monthly basis rather than getting it when you come back...seems a bit weird?
Daff Posts: 11644
I have heard of this. It's to ensure that you acutally do come back and not just hand in yoru notice after they've paid you for 6 months work. Ask them for specifics. I know my last company would pay you half while on leave and then half each month on top of your normal salary for 6 motnhs when you came back.
Buzzo Posts: 1055
hey still in shock, i've heard of it in the context that daffodil bride has - they pay you part during, and part at the end - i think thats what happened one of my sisters - basically they held back some of the money maybe 25% or so. sounds like a bit of a pain because they are leaving you unnecessarily short, especially if you're trying to budget for mortgage/rent & bills etc but at least you know its coming (i'm getting 20% of my salary full stop :( but i know lots of people get nowt)
ok thanks - just a bit of a shock, didnt expact that, we recently moved house, we have a massive mortgage, so im panicking now. Im defo coming back to work (doesnt everyone these days) and feel if they are gonna give it to me in a lump sum afterwards, why not give it to me by the month, no difference to them. Its in my contract that I only get it on the condition of returning to full time work anyway so if I left within 6 months of returning I'd have to repay it. I think thats standard so I wonder would they change it for me, given the recession etc. Dont know how we will cope otherwise. I knew I would be getting paid as its part of my contarct so we planned everything knowing this, but this is a major spanner in the works...hmmm....is it worth asking them?
tilsun Posts: 4506
Maybe try to have a chat with them, sure it can't hurt. Have any of your colleagues gone on maternity leave recently, could you ask them if they were able to negotiate at all. If there's no way of getting the money monthly, try having a chat with your credit union, this is the kind of thing they are great for helping out with in my experience.As you know the money will be coming you can borrow off the strength of it without paying crazy interest levels. Also bear in mind that your expenses will be higher when you return to work (childcare etc) so it will be good to be getting extra at that stage. Just trying to look on brightside :)
Thanks tilsun, I know as I said im extremely lucky to be getting paid at all but ya kno wwhen you think somethign in your head and then you find out thats not the way it will work it throws you off. Not part of a credit union but maybe Ill go set up an account. Nobody has gone on ML in here in a long time, most people working here are lifers and much older. I think Im the first in years, im one of the youngest here. Thanks for the advice though :thnk
raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
A company that I used to work for paid 70% when you were on leave, then when you were back 3 months, you got remaining 30% in lump sum. Maybe you could talk to them and ask them to do this, or 50% when you're off, 50% after a period when you're back?
Buzzo Posts: 1055
[quote="Still in Shock":6ufz87ov]Thanks tilsun, I know as I said im extremely lucky to be getting paid at all but ya kno wwhen you think somethign in your head and then you find out thats not the way it will work it throws you off. Not part of a credit union but maybe Ill go set up an account. Nobody has gone on ML in here in a long time, most people working here are lifers and much older. I think Im the first in years, im one of the youngest here. Thanks for the advice though :thnk[/quote:6ufz87ov] deffo try talk to them. work out what monthly percentage you'd need for your mortgage, and ask them for that (plus a bit more in case they go hmm, you can't have 50% but you can have 40%). Then maybe you can live off / pay other bills from the maternity benefit payments
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
One other thing to note is if you one massive lump sum on top of your regualr salary on your return, or a series of them over a few months, you will get SCREWED for tax when you get back. I know you can get reassessed after wards at the end of the year, but that means more waiting for money you are due now. It could get complicated if your back pay crosses over into the next tax year as youd be looking for a tax refund in (say) 2011 for leave you took in 2010. Sounds like a nightmare for you to save them inconvenience of chasing up (what Id imagine is) a very small number of women who will take the pay and then dont come back. Id try to arrange something more straightforward, even a percentage, whilst on leave coz getting nothing and then getting massively overpaid doesnt benefit you in anyway - maybe explain to them you havent budgeted for this and it would put you in dire straits?