painting a cot???????????????????????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunshine. Posts: 1387
I have been getting conflicting suggestions on this..... one paint shop said not to paint at all because although the paints are generally environmentally friendly it does not mean that they are 100% safe if a baby is going to chew the cot.... Another place said that you can use any sort of paint because the lead has been taken outta them nowadays..... Done know what to do and dont know whether i would be better off buying a new cot altogether :xxs
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
i would have thought lead free paint and it would be ok but just spotted this on the Dulux website
marianf Posts: 5845
My understanding is that you just need to make sure that the paint is lead free.
bumble Posts: 1980
I had emailed Dulux about this months ago when i was considering using an old cot and painting it - in the end the cot didn't meet standards when i measured the distance between the bars so i just bought a new one. However Dulux basically came back and said Japlac International Paint (think it's used mainly for model airplanes etc) is the one that's tested and confirmed lead free. I had asked if i could use for example a dulux satin paint and they said that although the paints are lead free they would have to put each batch of paint through the tests to confirm they are lead free and therefore within safe levels in order to sell / recommend them for use for a cot and that it isnt viable to do that amount of testing. I took that to mean the paints are fine to use but they cant give you confirmation of that...but it's down to everyone's own interpretation.