Painting while pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Hey girls I thought I read somewhere a while ago that paint fumes aren't good when you're pregnant...however I know lots of people get nurseries together while pregnant and it's a common idyllic picture of pregnancy where hubbie is up on the ladder painting and wife in dungarees is standing beside him helping or holding the ladder or whatever :o0 Does anyone know if painting is a good or bad idea while pregnant? (obviously in well ventilated room etc)
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
Good or bad we're building a house and it was either paint it now or wait til floors/skirting/archatrave etc was up which means lots of masking! I painted our whole house over a few days! Got my mam n brother n h2b(sometimes) to help as well! Think we did 2 Saturdays and a Sunday at it! All the paint I used was water based so no bad fumes off it anyway! Was knackered after each day doing it and to be fair I didn't really do much up the ladder or anything but babs is still fine!
Jeidi Posts: 3128
I asked the exact same thing in the Jan mums thread yesterday. We got the paint and wooden floor for the babs room and we want to start it in the next few weeks. As long as the room is well ventilated and you dont be up on a ladder it should be fine. Also make sure you dont stretch as someone said that encourages the cord to wrap around the babies neck :eek :eek Told my hubby that last night and now I'm not allowed within 10 feet of the nursery till he paints it. Either way just be careful.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
hey GB, I helped my sis paint our babs room. I just did the low down filler-inners and the skirting board/wall join. Don't stretch at all. Re the fumes - alot of the paint nowadays do not smell anyway. You can always get the breatheasy paints. You can paint if you want, just don't stretch at all. HTH
silíní Posts: 4219
I wouldn't do it, but i was a bit neurotic about stuff like that when pregnant i might be in the minority....
baby-bel Posts: 929
personally I wouldnt do it either, let your DH do it ! you can do some of the other things to the nursery then once he has painted it like add motifs, stickers or a border or something like that.
gogglebox Posts: 910
I've been doing quite alot of painting at home recently. I just have the door or window open to get loads of air in. When we paint baby's room, dh will paint the skirting boards as that's gloss paint and too smelly for me and baby, but I'll do all the other stuff with him like the wall paint and the sanding etc... in preparation. I'd just be careful with stinky gloss paint and avoid if poss.
workingmom Posts: 3429
I've painted and varnished a whole 4 bed house while pregnant, I think yes be careful not to trip or fall when pregnant but TBH the whole relax and take it easy stuff is nonsense to me, if I'm not able, I know I'm not able, and I won't do it, but I am fine, and it's good exercise. All that stuff about streching and cords wrapping too, I don't know if I believe that either, I've done extensive searches and looked in my pregnancy books, and found nothing about it, so I take that with a pinch of salt.
silíní Posts: 4219
To be honest it was more the fumes from the paint i meant....
gogglebox Posts: 910
yeah, same here - it's more the fumes I'd be concerned about which is why I draw the line at gloss paint as it would give me a headache at the best of times, so can't be good for the baby, but I'll happily emulsion and polyfilla etc... until the cows come home. I'm with Mrs GK on the amount of work involved - if I feel up to it then I'll do it - ladders, stretching and all... I'm just going to avoid gloss paint fumes, and the rest is all business as usual.