Menu

Panic attack last night, hope it doesnt happen during labour

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lush11 Posts: 2877
I got a bit shakey last night thinking about the labour. Ive been SO good for so long that i think i lost my nerve last night. I decided to have a bath to try relax me and listened to my Gentlebirth cds but didnt really work. Its been about 6 weeks since i listened to them so maybe i need to get back into the habit of relaxing again. Also i was watching my belly move. The movements are completely different to what they used to be. I can feel the baby moving as a whole and not just the odd kick or poke and all i could think was how am i gonna get this human being outta me. Then i started to think that if i panic during labour im screwed cos ill completely lose my nerve and lose control. By the time my hubbie came home i was a shakey mess. Not sure where it all came from but the more panicky i got the more pancky i started to get. Could have been that i was packing my suitcase for hospital.
mamabelle Posts: 1101
You poor thing! Maybe get out and go for a walk if you feel panic setting in again. If you practice your breathing etc in advance you won't panic during labour - give the CDs a go again...some people swear by them. Its normal to have anxiety moments - I'm pregnant with No 3 and spent last night fretting that the baby wasn't moving enough...
theoracle Posts: 7664
Lush you seem to me like a person who likes to know exactly how things are going to pan out and who is only ever comfortable if they have every last detail figured out. Now this is the one time in your life when you have to put trust and faith into the unknown and believe that all is going to go well, one way or the other, and whatever happens, the end result will be a beautiful baby in your arms. So it doesn't matter that you don't know exactly HOW you are going to do it. Know this: you are going to do it, because knowing it in our heads or not, we (women) all have it in us. Look at 16 and pregnant - those girls, those young girls still children themselves are managing and imagine how frightened and insecure they must be!
Mamabelle, i was doing so well with those cds a month or 2 ago and felt like i could conquer the world but then thought i was listening to them too early so said id give them a break for a while and start up again when i was closer. I was even trying to do my breathing in the bath but to no avail. The oracle, I am a control freak and like to have everything organised to the last so i suppose its hard to relax completely and take it in my stride but i can assure you those Gentlebirth cds are coming out again tonight. My hubbie just laughed at me and said its not the labour i was panicking over that it was just time for me to have a little panicky moment. In a way he's right, i have a little panic attack every 6 months or so, lol. He said if i wasnt pregnant it would be just about time for me to be panicking about that and if we were getting married this year it would be just about time for me to panic about saving for that. He's probably right!
mamabelle Posts: 1101
This will prob sound silly but what I do is lie down and count how many breaths I do in 3 minutes (apparently that's the average length of a contraction). Then I try to breath slower and deeper so I do one less breath in the next 3 minute period... I just find focusing on this helps me get things under control again if that makes any sense... I must sound like a nutter!
Lucky Mrs Posts: 1167
This happened to me the night before I had my DS, I was in the hospital as they were monitoring me & when they told me they weren't happy with me & wanted me to stay so they could scan me the next morning I flipped, I even ran out of the hospital the nurse kept ringing me so I threw my phone away so I couldn't hear it ringing :o0 Turned out it wasn't as bad as I thought I watched too many stupid films On a scale of 1-10 was about a 5 don't worry when you are in labour just keep thinking another second nearer to meeting my son or daughter thats what I did I have a gorgeous 2 yr old now & I would do it a million times over, its so worth it when you see your baby you won't even rem the pain, I swear that to you HTH :wv
Thanks girls, i need to start focusing on 'i can do it' rather than 'i cant'. 5/10 isnt bad in fairness so i definitely think i can manage that. I actually dont think its the contractions that i am most worried about, its the actual pushing that really scares me. I know it will be hard but what if the baby just wont come out or im too exhausted to push or have been pushing for 2 hours straight which is a looooonnnnngggg time in my eyes. That'd be like running a marathon to me and ive never done a marathon but reackon id pass out.
theoracle Posts: 7664
We have all been there with the 100 what ifs going through our heads. The scenario you describe happened to me actually, on dd1, I pushed for an hour and nothing much happened and then I was too exhausted and couldn't push any more, but tbh I had an epi and hadn't a clue whether I was doing things right or not. All that happened then was that I had a forceps delivery, so I tell you, whatever happens, it always ends with babs coming out one way or the other! And if you don't mind me saying starting to freak yourself out @ 30 weeks is very premature, you still have 2.5 months to go, you will be an emotional wreck if you let these thoughts take over.
I know, the oracle, so thats why im trying to nip it in the bud. I cant be like this in 10 weeks so drastic action my be needed.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
[quote="theoracle":lwdkuh7s]Lush you seem to me like a person who likes to know exactly how things are going to pan out and who is only ever comfortable if they have every last detail figured out. Now this is the one time in your life when you have to put trust and faith into the unknown and believe that all is going to go well, one way or the other, and whatever happens, the end result will be a beautiful baby in your arms. So it doesn't matter that you don't know exactly HOW you are going to do it. Know this: you are going to do it, because knowing it in our heads or not, we (women) all have it in us. Look at 16 and pregnant - those girls, those young girls still children themselves are managing and imagine how frightened and insecure they must be![/quote:lwdkuh7s] +1 I think its not the birth that u need to learn to be calm with its the lack of control u will have over any of this. I had myself in a complete knot over DD1 as I am a complete control freak but 21 months later when DD2 arrived I had copped that your kids are teh one area in your life u will never have even half control over so u need to chill ! I found DD2's birth and after so much easier cuz I just went with it. I had natural births with both with NO pain relief and honest to God it is not that bad .....yes it hurts but anything thats worth it usually does. Concentrate on cuddling ur little poppit and those panic moments will calm down, they are normal u just have to stop them from overwhelming u, so as soon as u feel one coming on ....do something else!!!! U will be fine we always r !