Panic Attacks

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SunnyK Posts: 3834
Hi girls... Just wondering if anyone has experience with panic attacks and advice on how to deal with them? Any feedback would be great...
Anahita Posts: 1161
Hi SunnyK, My Mam has had the odd one. Try to control you're breathing, take deep breathes in and out until you don't feel like it's a struggle to breathe. That's the main thing that makes you panic more, it's so frightening. Also try to remember that it will pass and it won't harm you, a good thing to think is "ok this happened before and I was ok so I know I will be again" Then of course one of the long term things to work on is stress and trying to lower it or deal with it better, but thats easier said than done I know. There's lots of sites with tips that you'll find useful. Good luck, I know how debilitating they can be so I hope you learn how to cope with them soon.
Jawl Posts: 8881
Skinnymini posted some very useful advice. I PM'd you.
pupsalove Posts: 1490
HI I suffered from panic attacks in the past and a few small one in the recent months. I find a book called Self Help for your nerves by Dr Clare Weekes (or indeed any of her 5 books) invalaubale in explaining what happens and a great way of dealing with it. She is very sympathetic and compassionate and I found her books to be the greatest help to me in dealing with panic.
Diamondz Posts: 2208
I found dealing with stress really important and I took up yoga classes which really helped. Only a short term measure, but I found the Bach's Rescue Remedy or the Jan de Vries Emergency Essence great to calm me down when having an attack... might be useful for you too?
Kittyboo Posts: 1591
I've suffered from panic attacks for the last 7-8 years for various different.....not a pleasant experience. If I feel one coming on I try my best to control my thoughts, feelings, breathing and try to talk to someone or write thoughts down. Also if your suffering from your nerves.....I'd recommend taking Vitamin B. Its fantastic and I swear by it....it got me throu the final weeks coming up the wedding along with Rescue Remedy every now and again (and trust me the final 12 weeks coming up to our wedding is something I never want to relive again!) It took me ages to "learn" to deal with them....DH helped me a lot to control them. In saying that though it doesn't always happen and I do end up in a full on panic attack from time to time and DH has to "talk" me out of them.....
SunnyK Posts: 3834
Girls thanks for your replies on this. I went the doc yesterday and his advice was quite like yours, the deep breaths, relaxation techniques etc but also that it's an emotional thing and I've issues that I need to work through too. He prescribed some light tablets too so hopefully I'll be able to control them soon. Thanks again. SK
stylefreak Posts: 693
I feel for you, I never had a panic attack but I get bad 'anxiousness' sometimes,(that's my best way of describing it). I hope some of the techniques described help you. Exercise always helps me, you never feel like doing it but it def works. The endorphins are really calming and I always seem to think more clearly afterwards too. Hope you feel better!