paracetamol

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fantac Posts: 4109
girls - following from the lemsip q - is paracetamol really that ok? my doc is mr chilled out about pregnancy, very practical and not a fusser at all, tol dme to keep riding the horses, have the odd drink etc, but he told me to avoid taking any kind of drugs including paracetamol, at all costs. he said if i was totally dying, paracetamol is the best of a bad lot, but her certainly put me off taking it unless i literally couldnt move. is he over reacting? do they all have their own quirks about whats ok and what isn't?
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I very rarely take any painkillers anyway. I had to take 4 paracetemol (2x2) so far during this pregnancy. I got very bad headaches/sinus pain at start of second trimester, i put up with them for a couple of days but nothing would shift them so i took the painkillers. Thats my take on it, i was at the end of my tether before id take them. Some people think nothing of it, my sis has taken Solpadene, i wouldnt. If its a headache try water,coffee, hot/cold compress, bath. If its a cold id try hot water+ lemon+honey. Its a personal choice at the end of the day.
yeh i'd be with you nltg - a mate fo mine took sleeping pills cos she wasn't sleeping well - which is something i'd deffo not do. thankfully i've been very well so far in my pregnancy so havent taken anything at all. but yeh, i'm a headache - drink lots of water and use a cold compress or cold/flu - hot lemon drink with honey, bath and early bed type of a person.
Dootsay Posts: 958
Hi Rhubarb, I was at the doc yesterday - to confirm BFP, it was a surprise and I thought I was getting really bad AF pains, so I took my usual drug - solpadeine, I asked him was this OK, he just advise from now on to take only pure paracetemol, he didn't really say when - only for bad pain relief I assume. I will avoid all pain killers if poss, but if I'm in agony, panadol is the only one I will chance. To be honest, I'd say different docs have different opinions, it'll be interesting to know what other mams-to-be were told?
[quote="Dootsay":3epepcm3]Hi Rhubarb, I was at the doc yesterday - to confirm BFP, it was a surprise and I thought I was getting really bad AF pains, so I took my usual drug - solpadeine, I asked him was this OK, he just advise from now on to take only pure paracetemol, he didn't really say when - only for bad pain relief I assume. I will avoid all pain killers if poss, but if I'm in agony, panadol is the only one I will chance. To be honest, I'd say different docs have different opinions, [b:3epepcm3]it'll be interesting to know what other mams-to-be were told[/b:3epepcm3]?[/quote:3epepcm3] yeh -this interests me - cos every book i pick up says dont ride horses but my doc said its grand, seeing as i've been doing it for yonks and am not likely to strain anything or fall off. i think they must all have different things that they have hang ups about. i'm funny about taking drugs of any desc anyway, but i'd have no problem in having a small glas o fwine once a week. i guess like nltg said, its all personal choice once you try to be as well informed as you can.
Perci Posts: 3847
Yeh, my GP told me to take only paracetamol and I think I've taken it about 3 times during the pregnancy as I've had 2 nasty headcolds and a throat infection in the past 8 months! She said avoid anything with codeine or aspirin in it.
Baby Mad Posts: 1756
My friend was told by her Dr that she should take no more 2 paracetamol a day (if she has pain obviously). My Dr told me NOTHING anyway but if I have a bad headache I'll take something. I too was used to my trustworthy Solpadeine but haven't taken anything since BFP.
pattie Posts: 2379
My GP told me I could take 8 a day. I had terrible headaches from hayfever early on and she advised against any anti-histamines and said would I not take panadol instead. They didn't do much good so I only took them a couple of times at that stage. Much later I got a horrible virus and had a temperature and a different doctor told me I had to take paracetamol to keep my temperature down so I ended up taking them for a week. I suppose it depends on the circumstances. They're not that great for pain anyway so it's worth looking for some other solution if it's a pain issue. If you have a temperature then it seems the paracetamol is better than a high temp for the baby.
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
I have taken 2, 1 when I'd a kidney infection and 1 yesterday when I had really bad af like pains that I was crying with them. But apart from that I'm trying to steer clear. My doctor actually never said anything, it was a doctor in the hospital who told me to take some for the pain from the kidney infection.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
My sisters GP told her it was ok to take Solpadene. I looked on this website safefetus.com and it tells you what drugs are safe in pregnancy and what are not. Paracetemol are a Class B on it and Solpadene are a class C (ie do not take unless risk to mother is greater than risk to fetus). Rhubard, id say cos you are riding so long your doc thinks you are competent and are less likely to fall off and an inexperienced rider. I would say for a bad infection, temp, etc the advantages of taking paracetemol outweight the possible risks. But i think if its just a cold,mild headache,etc try something else first just to be sure.