Parent Frustration

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

angel baby Posts: 78
I came home for the weekend and already my parents are driving me up the wall. Instead of actually being excited and happy like my OH's parents they are so negative, I showed them the brochure of the hotel we booked and they started saying it was too expensive and sure won't the hotel down town do ya?! Then i said if i get any more hassle from the church I might just consider having the civil cermony in the hotel as its a little ironic since we arent religous to get married in the church. They start saying it would be a shame on them if i did do that!!! Jees when did they become so old fashioned and negative. I'm fit to elope girls.
deda Posts: 1220
I'm not going home for good until Monday even though we are on holidays and my father can't understand why we were not coming home yesterday and I told him it was because I would be asked question after question and they would just p me off, so I'm delaying that moment until absolutely necessary. It's your wedding do what YOU want not what will shame or not shame you parents. You won't be able to suit everyone so you might as well suit yourselves.
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
I would say that the actual wedding is so far away at the moment to just not mention it! Do whatever it is YOU want to do for your wedding. Their reactions may not be what you would hope for but at the end of the day they will be happy for you!
angel baby Posts: 78
[quote="bride-2b":3hft9kvh]I would say that the actual wedding is so far away at the moment to just not mention it! Do whatever it is YOU want to do for your wedding. Their reactions may not be what you would hope for but at the end of the day they will be happy for you![/quote:3hft9kvh] Thanks girls ... yeah thats true i've decided to keep my mouth closed from here on in. I have a feeling they think they are going to have to pay for it, so as soon as I sort that today, i'm not going to mention it again until this time next year. Just wanted my mom to be as excited as everyone else.
disney08 Posts: 575
[quote="angel baby":567rwu7c] Just wanted my mom to be as excited as everyone else.[/quote:567rwu7c] I know what you mean, I wish my dad would seem excited about our wedding next year but he seems disinterested to say the least!
Sumire Posts: 136
I have the same problem with OH's family, they are not interested at all. It's really frustrating cos they gave out loads about not being involved enough in his brothers wedding but no matter what we do to try and get them involved with ours they are really negative and critical. My family however couldn't be more excited which is great!
Twister Posts: 209
Have learned from experience that the less said the better to hsb's family the better.... Pity I didnt cop on to that 18months ago when we geo engaged. ALL they have to do is 1.help with stag 2.get suits fitted 3.come to rehearsal 4.turn up!! All they have done is 1. complain about the stag......its too dear (eh crk on shn for 1 pm??) 2.Havent gone about theor suits yet(3 months to go) and FREAKED out when they heard I was coming to suit fitting?? 3. Complain that they dont need to rehearse -sure we just have to stand there' and forget about going to meal after rehearsal- 'its too late to be eating' ( at 6.30p.m???) 4. we'll wait and see!!! h2b is seriously peed off with his lot and my family ( who I thought would cause major hassle) have been so supportive and helpful. My mother (who I dont normally get on with) is calling every few days to see if she can do anything and it really has helped bring us closer ( I am only daughter and 1st to marry) SO ANGEL BABY- my advice is only tell them what you really need to - their excitement will pick up, in time. Dont let their initial negativity drag you down. Remember this special time is about you and your man and nothing should ruin that... at the end of the day your wedding is all about you and not about anyones parents/families etc.
vonanto Posts: 395
My God twister, its like you're living my life. My H"Bs family are exactly the same. He has his parents and 3 bros and I swaer its just torture. He also has a child from a previous relationship who they have completely turned against him, its really sad and I know hes dreading Fathers Day tomorrow. We had asked her to be a bridesmaid and she was all excited, she then rang and said she didnt want to do it so he said that was ok, didnt want her to feel forced and now we dont know if shes actually going to come to the wedding!!!!!! Sooooo stressful O:| O:| O:| O:| Anyway sorry for babbling I totally agree with everyone else - do your wedding your way :lvs :lvs
Twister Posts: 209
Glad its not just me!! Families eh?? Who'd have them!!
forsure Posts: 282
Im the same stayed at home last night as i was at slane and my mum is doing my head in this morn "she just told meh2b will soon get sick of me as im on the intenet all the time" he's nt here he stayed in his mams last night - only reason im on here is coz i dont feel like talking to her!!! I got my wedding shoes and brought thm up she said there not the right shade and im colour blind ahhhhhh its all just negative vibes man!!!