Paris

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Beck Posts: 432
Ok, I'm taking himself to Paris for 3 nights in January as his Xmas pressie. I've got flights and hotel (cheap and cheerful - I hope!), but need some ideas for places to eat. He took me there to propose but we ended up eating toasted ham and cheese sandwiches for the weekend cos we just couldn't find any restaurants :o0 ! So, where do you recommend to eat in central Paris? Hotel is up near the Opera, but we'll wander around. Cheap & cheerful for breakfasts and lunches, nice restaurants for dinner, good places to drink...
Swisschick Posts: 220
Hi there, One of my favourite places to go for food in Paris is Chez Paul (13, Rue de Charonne, Paris 75011 +33 1 4700 3457), it's a few minutes walk from the Bastille. It's a traditional bistro, with handwritten menus, gingham tableclothes and usually packed, so tables are quite close togeather. The waiters are very friendly (quite happy to translate the entire menu, and recommend wine etc). Probably about 30-40 euros for a 3-course meal with wine. But either make a reservation, or be prepared for a long wait for a table. They do lunch and dinner (and are packed out for both). Another place I really like is also right by the Bastille, and is called Bofinger. It's more up-market than Chez Paul, but also has a lovely atmosphere. It's a fair bit more expensive, but they do a lunch menu which is excellent value (it's been about two years since I've been there last, but it was about 30 euros for set menu including a half bottle of wine). Great way to pass a Sunday afternoon. And a very cute little place is Taverne Henri IV, just off the pont-neuf bridge (on the Ille de le Cite). The food is simple (it's basically a wine bar that does food) - but it's really nice and and quite inexpensive. Don't know if they do evening meals, I've only been at lunch time. And the Marais is a great area for going out in at night, lots of bars etc. There are also lots of bars in the area where Chez Paul is (the street just off it is a pedestrian zone). Hope this helps :-)
Gone2007 Posts: 4182
and And the Pub St Germaine next door is a nice spot. H2B and I never seem to find any funky bars or clubs on hols so we delighted to stumble across this!
redsquirrel Posts: 391
You will have a fab time, we were there in late October and loved it!! Try the Hotel du Crillon in Place de Concorde, its wonderful for cocktails and just relaxing!! Staring into hubbys (bloodshot!) eyes!! Enjoy!
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
Don't know of any places - was there a long time ago...just wanted to say that I am SO jealous!!! I love Paris! :lvs :xox :lvs
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
[quote="Beck":2mkurcru]Ok, I'm taking himself to Paris for 3 nights in January as his Xmas pressie. I've got flights and hotel (cheap and cheerful - I hope!), but need some ideas for places to eat. He took me there to propose but we ended up eating toasted ham and cheese sandwiches for the weekend cos[u:2mkurcru] we just couldn't find any restaurants[/u:2mkurcru] :o0 ! So, where do you recommend to eat in central Paris? Hotel is up near the Opera, but we'll wander around. Cheap & cheerful for breakfasts and lunches, nice restaurants for dinner, good places to drink...[/quote:2mkurcru] In PARIS? :eek :eek
architec Posts: 1306
Le Timbre. Great food, chef from Manchester so they're English friendly, tiny little restaurant with an even tinier little kitchen. I LOVE this place, I always make an excuse to go. It's also very affordable. I dare you NOT to go... 3, rue Sainte-Beuve Paris 6 Tel: 01 45 49 10 40 Closed Saturday lunch and Sunday.
Beck Posts: 432
[quote="lets go fly a kite":njg1r37a] In PARIS? :eek :eek[/quote:njg1r37a] I know! Ridiculous isn't it! Want to make sure we don't end up eating toasted ham & cheese sandwiches and drinking a bottle of wine in the Louvre cafe while waiting for our flight home! Thanks for all your suggestions, we'll check them out! :thnk