Partners going to Rotunda antenatal classes?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rogue Posts: 25
Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone has advice on which two of the last five antenatal classes held in the Rotunda would be best for dh to attend with me? He's only entitled to time off for 2 classes and may not be able to make the rest of them. He really wants to be there for them all but I'm thinking it could be putting himself under pressure in work for no reason. If anyone has been before, would they know what's covered in each class? I've tried contacting the dept. in hospital but can't get through for the moment. Thanks!
NemoFish Posts: 2501
Either the first or last physio class (class 2 or class 6) as these are quite repetitive of each other. Class 3 focuses a lot on labour so is probably good, and I think this is the one where you can get a tour of the labour ward if it's not too busy. Class 1 is women only. Class 4 and 5 I think are baby care, but sure he'll learn that on the job!
safari girl Posts: 309
I'd been wondering the same. Hubby was keen to go to all classes too, but the midwife in the very first class kinda suggested they'd be bored at most of them. She suggested them attending one class on labour and one on baby care. hth
happilywed Posts: 638
i just finished them 3 weeks ago and did them all on my own as hubby couldnt take time off (new job !) id agree with nemofish either class2/6 pretty much the same and 3 for labour prep i foun class 4 and 5 dragged they could really have condensed them into one imo ...but lots of people had there partners there for the baby lesson ones aswell so it depends on what you want him to learn hth O-O
Rogue Posts: 25
Thanks a mill girls, your answers are a great help for us picking two of them, class 2 is next week for me so at least I know he can miss that 2nd one maybe and go to the 6th one instead. I had a feeling it would be a waste of his holiday time to go to all 6 of them. And a lot of the stuff he can read up about himself I'd say. Thanks again!
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Bump. Interested to know if anyone has any advice on what ante natal classes DH should attend? He gets time off for 2 by law but he will take flexible time or work up the hours if it would be beneficial for him to attend the other 3 classes.
craftyPB Posts: 2625
I wouldn't bother to bring him to the first class.....physio, dietician etc... But all the rest would be beneficial.... labour, breastfeeding, baby care....
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Thanks ruthiem, did you find class 6 was a repeat of class 2? Partners aren't allowed to the first class so it's just the other 5 we have to decide on.
craftyPB Posts: 2625
I have no idea... I used to work their, but never attended classes...taught a few, but only ever the breasfeeding and baby care one's...
wowza Posts: 556
I would say that anything to do with labor is most beneficial. The baby care ones are ok, but you are totally going to learn on the hop anyway!