Passport for Honeymoon - Name Change

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

platinumbride Posts: 751
Ok, I wasnt sure where to post this. Its a bit long winded. So my current passport is out of date July 2012. We are marrying in Italy (symbolicly only as we will have legal service here shortly before) in May 2012 and Honeymooning in U.S. in June 2012. Now I have looked up the Dept Foreign Affairs website and apparently I can enter the U.S. with no problems as long as my passport is valid for the duration of my stay. Same goes for Italy. So I had originally intended on getting a new passport around April next year just to be on the safe side. But I also intend on changing my name once I get back from Honeymoon, so this means I would have to again get another passport with my married name as you cant simply change the name and replace the passport. So that means a couple of hundred euro on new passports in as many months. Would anyone have any advice for me? Do you think I should just use my current passport and wait until I change my name to change it? :duh: So confusing.
Lindy79 Posts: 460
My passport was up for renewal this year, and I'm not getting married until next year. I'm just going to go with my existing passport and then I will change it a few years down the line but it isn't on my priority list. At a cost of €80 (plus passport express fee) and a wait time of nearly a month, I could do without the cost or the stress of changing it again so close, (I travel with work a lot, so need my passport) Its up to you really, if it means a lot for you to have your passport in your married name then I would do it.
PeaPod Posts: 583
My passport was up in May this year and am getting married May next year. Originally I was going to go on honeymoon with my passport in my maiden name and then get a new passport after HM with my married name. TBH the hastle I had getting my passport this year I think I will just keep my passport in my maiden name for a few years, couldn't be bothered changing it again next year!
Thats exactly what I found Candy...it took well over a month for mine even with the express service and taking the delays into account. I am traveling to a wedding abroad in July (I only got word yesterday that it was approved) and I was starting to panic! Couldn't be doing with that coming up to the wedding! Luckily my drivers licence is up next year though, so I can change something :o0
On that note are you all just changing your name on official documents by using marriage certificate or are you changing it by deed poll? now THAT baffles me!
Haha, I haven't a clue! I thought it was just the official documents but to be fair I haven't checked it out yet. Maybe one of the brides who has done it can help?
sunchild Posts: 86
[quote="PlatinumBride":1dlg9g6w]Ok, I wasnt sure where to post this. Its a bit long winded. So my current passport is out of date July 2012. We are marrying in Italy (symbolicly only as we will have legal service here shortly before) in May 2012 and Honeymooning in U.S. in June 2012. Now I have looked up the Dept Foreign Affairs website and apparently I can enter the U.S. with no problems as long as my passport is valid for the duration of my stay. Same goes for Italy. So I had originally intended on getting a new passport around April next year just to be on the safe side. But I also intend on changing my name once I get back from Honeymoon, so this means I would have to again get another passport with my married name as you cant simply change the name and replace the passport. So that means a couple of hundred euro on new passports in as many months. Would anyone have any advice for me? Do you think I should just use my current passport and wait until I change my name to change it? :duh: So confusing.[/quote:1dlg9g6w] As far as I know the USA require a passport to be in date for a minimum of 6 months from date of entry. I would double check this! and then check it again!! :o0 If you are 100% your current passport will be ok go with that...otherwise, you'll need to get a new one. If you do, defintely don't wait until April if you plan on doing Passport express....give yourself 2 months to save the heart attack (speaking from experience...I left it way too late and every day I'm like a maniac on passport.ie looking for updates!!) Otherwise you can do it in person within 10 days of travel. you just have to show your plane tickets...You don't have to get the new passport with your married name straight away...:yelrotflmaosmilie:
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Why change by deed poll when you have a marriage certificate?? In the first place it would cost more as you would have to employ a solicitor or pay stamp duty fees if you were to do it yourself. Marriage cert is far simpler and you still have to go around to all your bank accounts, insurance policies, household bills separately to notify them. I married last year and changed everything in the course of the year. It took a bit of time of course but it is just a matter of making a list of everything. Some will take it over the phone (ESB, Gas, Revenue etc often will). Financial services (banks, insurances, etc.), TV licence, driving licence and passport will require your original marriage cert as will the electoral register. (They will post it back to you when done) If you don't need to change your passport for your honeymoon, don't bother. Some countries require you to have 6 months validity and you have already checked this with the DFA. If neither the US or Italy require this, then don't bother changing until you come home. Save yourself the expense! If they do require 6 months validity then you don't have a choice really. It's up to you then when you get the next one with the new name. Just bear in mind that if your passport stays in your maiden name then your credit cards must stay in your maiden name because in certain countries they will ask to see your passport when you pay by credit card - Spain for example. Regarding the driving licence, you can change this for free at your Motor Tax office and it will be for the remaining validity period of your licence. For example, my licence is due for renewal in March 2013. I changed my name on it last summer and the expiry on the new licence is still March 2013. All you need is the relevant form, 2 passport sized photos - the form and photos must be witnessed and stamped at a Garda Station. Present these with your marriage cert and old licence at the tax office and they'll print a new one for you on the spot if all is in order. I did it in my lunch hour at work.
rosiemama Posts: 3363
[quote="sunchild":2p1vpo8a] As far as I know the USA require a passport to be in date for a minimum of 6 months from date of entry. I would double check this! and then check it again!! [/quote:2p1vpo8a] def double check this. when i got married in March 2009, my passport was up in July 2009 and I was unable to use it for my honeymoon in USA as there wasn't 6 months left on it. I had to get a new one in my maiden name, couldn't get it in my married name as I left for honeymoon 2 days after the wedding, even if I went down to Dublin and queued in person (can you even do this anymore) I had to fill in the ETSA online 3 days before and I wasn't married at that stage. still have it in my maiden name as it is expensive to change it again! although i'm thinking of changing it as it has been problematic for me when others book flights for me in work without realising and a new passport would be cheaper than changing the name on the flights!
Well delphinium you have made my day! I thought you "had" to change name by deedpoll as was suggested on the tools page on WOL! originally I thought it was just marriage certificate so I'm delighted now with your information! Thanks so much! If everything can be changed using only a marriage certain that's wonderful news! :o)ll And I'll only need one new passport too as mine will be in date until July. Phew. I will of course double check with the DFA to be sure. Thanks for the advice ladies!!