Passport question..

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

streaks Posts: 3592
Quick question, oh's passport expires in January, we are heading abroad (Europe) in October does he need to renew it before we go? If so is it just a matter of getting the form from the garda station or how does it work?
nelswife Posts: 3869
No, as far as i know he will be fine for Europe its only if your travelling to somewhere like the states that your passport has to be in date 6 months after your return date. You need to go to garda, get the form, fill it out, go back with your photos (these need to be stamped by garda) and the form has to be signed by garda. You then send the forms into passport office with fee and old passport. You then get new passport within a couple of weeks
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
Where in Europe are you going? Most countries only require the passport to be valid for the period of your stay. Use the following linke to check the requirements of where you are going to: To renew the passport, he needs to fill in the passport renewal form (the post office has them.) Get 2 passport size photos taken and get them signed at the garda station and send them off. Using the passport express service, it usually takes 2 weeks.
Thanks girls, galway girl, that link is brill as we'll be in a few countries. As long as his passport is valid for the length of the stay we're fine and we are only away for a week. I assume there shouldn't be any hassle with airports etc due to the passports expiry in January?!
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="streaks":130w0as8]Thanks girls, galway girl, that link is brill as we'll be in a few countries. As long as his passport is valid for the length of the stay we're fine and we are only away for a week. I assume there shouldn't be any hassle with airports etc due to the passports expiry in January?![/quote:130w0as8] The only hassle might be with the airlines (as they can be fined for letting people travel on out of date passports) so its no harm to check the airlines requirements also, but you should be fine.
Will do thanks a mill. Might just apply for the new one... just incase.