Pasteurised brie is ok right?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

windycity Posts: 2241
I cant stop eating it!!! :-8
mummytime Posts: 3149
To be honest mould ripened cheeses are the only thing I avoid during pregnancy apart from alcohol. I eat pretty much anything else. Definetely do not eat the rind.
wonderwife Posts: 463
I'm sure pasteurised brie will be just fine. Put it this way if you've been eating lots of it, has it made you sick? Obviously not so it'll be fine. Out of interest what make is it - baked brie for Xmas would be YUM!!
Bunnybun Posts: 573
Sadly not. Am really missing my soft cheeses...This is taken from Mummypages.ie and I read it with dismay!!! [b:3d6kjlw0]Is it safe to eat cheese in pregnancy? [/b:3d6kjlw0]There are some cheeses you can eat when pregnant and it’s important you continue to eat cheese as it is a great source of calcium for you and your baby’s bones. There are some cheeses that are not safe to eat and you should avoid them completely. The cheeses that are unsafe are more likely to have the listeria bacteria which is extremely harmful to your baby. What cheeses are NOT safe to eat while pregnant? Blue veined cheeses such as Stilton, Roquefort or Cashel Blue, Wicklow Blue, or Danish Blue. Mould ripened / soft cheese e.g. Durrus, Cooleeney, Camembert, Brie and Chevre (a goats cheese) Some will tell you that they are safe to eat when they are pasteurised but they aren’t. You should avoid them at all costs. Even when pasteurised, they are soft and moist and as a result are a thriving ground for bacteria such as listeria to grow. If you do become infected with the listeria bacteria you will get sick with an illness called listeriosis. It is relatively mild illness with flu like symptoms that can develop several weeks after eating the cheese. However, whilst it is mild for mum, it is highly dangerous for your baby and can lead to the loss of your child at birth or miscarriage. Cooking all foods properly kills bacteria and the cheeses mentioned above are no exception. If you cook with them, ensure that they are cooked properly i.e. they are piping hot all the way through. Melting the cheese is not enough to kill the bacteria. Even though some hard cheeses are made with unpasteurised milk, they are considered safe to eat as the amount of the listeria bacteria is small. This is the MummyPages guide to which cheeses are safe and unsafe when you are pregnant: Unsafe cheeses in pregnancy All mould ripened soft cheeses including: Brie, Camembert, Cambozola, Chaumes, Chevre (goats cheese), Cooleeney, Couer de Neufchatel, Cremeux de Saint Parthem , Durrus, Pont l'eveque, Taleggio, All blue-veined cheeses including: Blue Wensleydale, Cashel Blue, Danish Blue, Dolcelatte, Gorgonzola, Wicklow Blue, Roquefort, Stilton or any French cheese that has “bleu” on the packaging. Soft, unpasteurised cheese, including goat's and sheep's cheeses: Feta, Chabichou due Poitou, Crottin de Chavignol.
wonderwife Posts: 463
Thanks for the info Bunnybun. My pregnancy book (given to me by midwife) says cheeses made with pasteurised milk are fine but I suppose there's always conflicting advice out there. To OP I really wouldn't worry about the cheese you've eaten to date but I suppose if you're worried then maybe I'd stop eating it. The chances of getting listeria from cheese pregnant or not are slim and I notice from your ticker you're not far from your due date so it'll be grand. No one wants these illnesses but I'd say they are much more dangerous in your first or second trimesters when the baby is still developing.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
Any advice i got from gp/midwife was that once it's pasteurised it's fine. I think also if cooked it's fine too so baked brie should be ok? OP it's up to you how 'to the letter' you follow pregnancy advice, some people will cut out more than others, some will have a drink, some won't. Peronally i think avoid the biggies - pate, swordfish, raw fish - and enjoy most things in moderation. I'd be fairly certain that there are plenty of French women stuffing themselves with Brie and a few glasses of wine when pregnant and have no ill effects :)
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
Hard cheeses made from unpasturised milk are fine but mould ripened cheeses even when made with pasturised milk are out I'm afraid. If you're really craving a soft cheese Port Salut is ok (because it has a wax rind). Cooked Brie is fine and so is non mould ripened goats cheese.
windycity Posts: 2241
hope Ive not done any damage .. shait!!!! O:| Ive eaten pastuerised brie only.. not into any other cheese but wont eat any more. I didnt have it before 34 weeks
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
Windycity you'd know by now if you'd gotten Listeriosis from the cheese so don't be beating yourself up. I happily munched through a ton of salami before I realised that it was a no-no.
Bunnybun Posts: 573
Salami is a no no? Oh bugger!!!