pay rise during the big R?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsbouncy Posts: 71
hi girls, just wondering if you think its ok to ask for a pay rise during the R, i have been working in the same job for the last four years and i am due my annual rise although saying that i got shafted out of it last year which i am still quite upset about, anyway business is as busy as ever so i cant see any reason why i should nt receive what i am entitled to im not talking big bucks here just the average 10% which if you saw what i earn is no big deal really thing is if im refused im going to have start lookin elsewhere need more money between mortgage and wedding!!!!!! ps its in the private sector medical based Thanks girls! :wv
ozypozy Posts: 2950
I think you'd be mad to ask for it. I took a pay cut earlier this year to keep the job I had and it's still very unstable. Just be thankful that you have a job. If you feel that strongly about it there's plenty of people who would be willing to do the job for less.
anya Posts: 187
No harm in asking, all they can say is no ! Good luck
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
you say the average rise is 10% - are ya mad!!! i'd be happy with any rise. we got a 1k rise last december but now there's talk of pay cuts and redundancies so we're all not sure why we got the rise in the first place ??? there's no harm in asking if you are due one - good luck!
D2010 Posts: 181
i'd definatly ask. what harm can it do.
mrsbouncy Posts: 71
thanks girls i know i am so lucky to have a job with the way things are but like i said the business im in has not been affected by the R just dont think us employees should be taken advantage of epescially when its so easy for employers to use the R as an excuse with any luck ill win the lotto ill let ye know :o0
jen09 Posts: 1390
Average payrises in most industries can be anywhere from 3-8% - or have you gotten 10% percent before? No harm asking but I'd not set in stone how much more you want.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
No harm in asking but I wouldn't go in with the approach that sure business is flying therefore I am entitled to one - this may just p**s em off! Wish I could have a payrise :o( :o( :o(
hopeful13 Posts: 501
pay rises in most private sector companies have been linked to inflation for the last number of year - hence circa 5% increases. Given that inflation has fallen so much over the last number of months that we are almost in a deflationary situation now i really wouldn't fancy your chances
Cathy34 Posts: 1068
10% I would have loved that when I was still in the private sector. More 3-4 I would say for me :o0