PCOS GP recommendation in Dublin

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

P_bride Posts: 2
Hi, I have just discovered that I have a form of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Not the nicest thing to be confronted with but not the end of the world either. The problem is that I found out from a Clinic that deals mostly with cosmetic surgery and hair removal. I went in as I was concerned about darks hairs on the side of my face and wanted to get rid of them. I mentioned that there was some history of diabetes in my family and that a beautician had mentioned that it may be a result of a hormone imbalance. The girl in the clinic suggested I take a blood test and said she would let me know. Two weeks later I arrived at the clinic for my first treatment to be met at the door to be told that they had detected increased levels of testosterone and theat they were referring me to have an ultrasound. They mentioned the condition, didn't explain anything about it and sent me on my merry way. I was distraught. They had just told me something and had given me no information or anything about it. I looked it up on the internet. The first thing I read was in relation to infertility which sent me completely over the edge. I met a lovely doctor when I went to get the ultrasound done who explained everything he was seeing and the implications. I had been told to make a return appointment after the ultrasound to go back to the clinic. When I got back there I was put into a room and two of the beauticians stood in the room with me until the doctor arrived. When he arrived he proceeded to quiz the two beauticians about the PCOS and what it meant and the courses of treatment. He didn't talk to me directly at all and only did when I asked him questions. He didn't discuss my particular case at all but just seemed to be using me to educate his staff. The two beauticans knew less than I did and they worked in a clinic where they would come in contact with quite a few patients with the same condition (as abnormal hair growth is one of the symptoms of PCOS). He then gave me a referral letter for an endocrinologist who could only see me in April. My problem is that I don't have a GP as such as I used to go to the college doctor and I have now left college. Apparently it is important to find a GP that has some experience with PCOS. Does anyone have a recommendation for a GP (anywhere in Dublin) that has experience with PCOS? Sorry about the long post but I had to get it out somewhere as I am quite frustrated with the whole thing. Any help would be really appreciated.
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
most doctors would have experience with pcos as it is more common then they thought and i am sorry thast the doctors freaked you out so much and didnt discuss your case properly with you that cos they only do a coulpe of days communication skills in college. the best bet is to ring around where you are living and get the gp to ring you back and explain situation, i sure they will be helpful enough to advise you. interview them re their experience dealing with pcos. dont know if this is any use but good luck