Pelvic Floor Exercises...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NotHere Posts: 10273
[b:3ur0g8oz]How to contract the pelvic floor muscles[/b:3ur0g8oz] The first thing to do is to correctly identify the muscles that need to be exercised. Sit or lie down comfortably with the muscles of your thighs, buttocks and abdomen relaxed Tighten the ring of muscle around the back passage as if you are trying to control diarrhoea or wind. Relax it. Practice this movement several times until you are sure you are exercising the correct muscle. Try not to squeeze your buttocks. When you are passing urine, try to stop the flow mid-stream, then restart it. Only do this to learn which muscles are the correct ones to use and then do it no more than once a week to cheek your progress, as this may interfere with normal bladder emptying. If you are unable to feel a definite squeeze and lift action of your pelvic floor muscles or are unable to even slow the stream of urine as described in point 3, you should seek professional help to get your pelvic floor muscles working correctly. Even women with very weak pelvic floor muscles can be taught these exercises by a physiotherapist or continence advisor with expertise in this area. Top of page [b:3ur0g8oz]Doing pelvic floor exercises [/b:3ur0g8oz] If you can feel the muscles working, exercise them by: Tightening and drawing in around the anus, the vagina and the urethra all at once, lifting them UP inside. Try and hold this contraction strongly as you count to five then release and relax. You should have a definite feeling of 'letting go'. Repeat ('squeeze and lift') and relax. It is important to rest for about 10 seconds in between each contraction. If you find it easy to hold for a count of five, try to hold for longer - up to ten seconds. Repeat this as many times as you are able up to a maximum of 8-10 squeezes. Now do five to ten short, fast, but strong contractions. Do this whole exercise routine at least 4-5 times every day. [b:3ur0g8oz]While doing the exercises:[/b:3ur0g8oz] DO NOT hold your breath. DO NOT push down instead of squeezing and lifting up. DO NOT tighten your tummy, buttocks or thighs. Do your exercises well - the quality is important. Fewer good exercises will be more beneficial than many half hearted ones. Once you have learnt how to do these exercises, they should be done regularly, giving each set your full attention. It might be helpful to have at least five regular times during the day for doing the exercises. For example, after going to the toilet, when having a drink, when lying in bed.
:wv I'm starting mine today! I think I've been in denial about this part of things, going to cop myself on now. Who's with me????
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Yeah I'll join in too!!! :wv
Skippy Posts: 1834
I've been doing mine for a while but I stopped after I peed a wee bit (boom boom) after a big sneeze one day. I got very disheartened cause I thought they mustn't be working. But then I thought imagine how bad it could have been if I hadn't been doing them at all? Anyway I haven't lost any pee since, which is great! But I do hold my breath when I do them and I do tighten my buttocks (or arse as I call it). Otherwise they are too hard and I wouldn't do them at all. It's like trying to move your ear. Very strange sensation. :o0
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Skippy apparently it's normal to loose your pee a bit when you're pregnant. I keep forgetting to do mine O:|
I think I've lost a bit of pee on and off :-8 That's why I'm determined to start them. Did them last night in bed all nice and comfy. Was going to do them in the car this morning but I was late for work and clipping it in so thought it better to concentrate on the road! :o0 Will do some at work this morning instead.
Bumpalicious Posts: 512
Girls, I don't know what's wrong with me. I find it totally impossible to do these without clenching my bum..can't seem to get it at all, and am starting to get a bit stressed about it now....
Have you practised on the loo? Just to see if its the right muscles you're holding?
Bumpalicious Posts: 512
Yeah, I have done, but I don't seem to be able to do it when I try it off the loo. it's like I can't isolate the muscles or something... :-8
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Thanks Mrs! Have printed the instructions off and am doing some as I type!!! :-8