Menu

pelvic floor muscles

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Crostini Posts: 1105
how to do em??? reading there on google about kegels etc, and it says to practise stoping peeing mid flow etc, but then in next sentence says doing that can weaken the muscles! so what muscle is it exactly????
leopardess Posts: 906
yes doing these while you pee can cause uti's!! you can do it once to make sure you're using the right muscle :) but i would not recommend regular practice of this!! ok so what you do is imagine you need to hold in a wee and a poo at the same time really tight as if your bursting :eek hold for 10. count to 10 (slowly) out loud so you're not holding your breath. do 25 of these. thats all im doing at the mo but i need to ask my midwife how many should i be doing. also some midwives recommend doing 10 quick 10 slow so it depends? also try and associate them with something to remind you to do them like everytime your on the phone, or watching tv something you do everyday that will remind you to do them. hope this helps.
oddwire Posts: 842
I do similar to above, but instead of holding for ten I pull a bit tighter and higher for each count - imagine an elevator going up through the floors if that helps! You probably won't be able to go to ten straight of, but with practise you'll build it up. Then release hold it for a few more seconds, then release it slowly. I don't think you need to do 25 - between 5 and 10 of these should be fine.
red_rubies Posts: 2424
Is it 5-10 a day? Should I be starting now?
leopardess Posts: 906
oddwire that sounds good, will try the elevator trick from now on!!
Crostini Posts: 1105
and i read you have to do it without clenching your butt cheeks :-8 thats hard!
oddwire Posts: 842
[quote="red_rubies":ys2lrwcz]Is it 5-10 a day? Should I be starting now?[/quote:ys2lrwcz] 5-10 a day, or whenever you think of them! Sooner you start better condition you should be in 'down there'.
red_rubies Posts: 2424
[quote="oddwire":j7g6u0sa][quote="red_rubies":j7g6u0sa]Is it 5-10 a day? Should I be starting now?[/quote:j7g6u0sa] 5-10 a day, or whenever you think of them! Sooner you start better condition you should be in 'down there'.[/quote:j7g6u0sa] Thank you! Will get started so! :wv