Pelvic Pain (SPD)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

baby peanut Posts: 810
I just wondered how many of you are suffering with this? I had it on my last pregnancy for last 10 weeks or so but this time it started at about 8 or 9 weeks and has got progressively worse. I'm now walking like John Wayne :eek not too mention the pain :o( Turning in bed is awful, DH says I moan in my sleep when I move :-8 How are any of you finding driving and getting in and out of car? Has your doc been of any help at all? Is anyone else feeling really dehabilitated? :o(
StayShiny Posts: 1078
hi baby :) Hmm, i've been wondering about this myself. You poor thing. I haven't had it bad yet, but it really weird, when I sit sideways on the sofa, I'm in pain when moving or getting up, but as long as I keep my back and pelvis in line, I'm actually ok. And in bed, I lie with one leg up. I don't know if that makes any difference though, as that the way I always sleep. Might mention it to doc next time though, as I hear it does get worse over time. Wish I could be any help to you.
The only thing that is keeping me sane is that it goes away quickly after the birth. Keeping your knees together when moving your legs around is a help, but it's sort of impossible to do sometimes (ie going upstairs!) Last time the hospital gave me a belt/girdle type thing which helps a bit but I can't wear it all the time. They also gave me crutches which I was a bit too embarassed to use :-8 I felt ridiculous. I started this pregnancy overweight and sometimes I think that might have contributed to this being worse.
tinyfairy Posts: 1536
Hi Girls, Big SPD Sufferer here! Having a really really bad day of it today cause I didn't get a wink of sleep last night and I need a full nights rest to even be able to contemplate getting out of the bed in the morning time. I have had it for about 12 weeks now. Have been attending physio in the Rotunda which did help with the pain until the baby moved into my pelvis. That happened about 10 days ago and since then I am in agony. Can't leave the house unless DH is bringing me. Can't drive, much too painful using the pedals, can't walk to the shop (haven't done that in over 3 months). It's an absolute nightmare and I wouldn't wish the pain on my worst enemy. I'm slightly worried about labour cause if the pain is this bad with the baby resting in my pelvis imagine the pain when pushing her out!!!!!
sherbetlemon Posts: 927
Hi girls, I swear by my chiropracter I must say. Otherwise I would be in agony with this. It is totally safe during pregnancy also. Was there yesterday and he re-aligned my pelvis back in place (very gentle) and I'm sleeping much better now. I go to him every 4 weeks but I'll have to go more often nearer my due date. :wv
sinion Posts: 6050
Have had it since 18 weeks but was only diagnosed at 32, bloody doctor fobbing me off over and over and then hospital taking a 'wait and see' approach before finally sending me for physio. I'm just about managing during the day, can still drive (just about) and can manage a few minutes of very slow walking, but night times are murder. I wake hubby up every time I have to move (which is about every half hour) because i'm moaning so loud. Every time I try to switch sides my pelvis has to click back into place again and the sound is bloody horrible, it's so loud, big crunching clicking sound, hubby said it sounds like a roast chicken being torn apart! Anyone else get a very sore coccyx? I can't sit down flat for more than about half an hour as it kills. Will definitely be heading to an osteopath once babs is born.
bride. Posts: 3014
I have this too, I had been doing a lot of exercise and it made it much worse. Since I've lightened up and stopped the exercise dvds and just focussed on walking it's improved. That said I still find it very hard to turn in bed and put on my shoes (lifting one leg up really hurts) so I finally got a physio referral today at 33 weeks, hopefully the appt comes round before the baby comes.
My doc said he wasn't allowed to refer me to the hospital coz they were too busy :o( It must depend on the area you're in, or maybe it's because I'm going public?? The most depessing thing for me is not being able to go for a big long walk. I'm putting on weight just sitting still all day :o0
rushinbride Posts: 1097
:eek I didn't even know there was a name for this...have had (all of the above symptoms)...i'm 27wks and thought it was just the pressure babs was putting on pelvis and after having another pregnancy...I didn't realise its an actual problem...mine is getting worse by the day..i drove for an hour yesterday and the pain while moving my feet was unreal...agonising...then my backside and hip area were killing me...I was planning on mentioning it to consultant in 2 wks time at my appointment - should i mention it to gp first or what???
mamabelle Posts: 1101
Hiya. I developed this about 4 weeks ago. My sympathies to you all. It varies from mild to excrutiating! I'm booked into Holles St for birth but apparently you'd be on your 9th child before you'd get an appt with the physio. After being fobbed off by my own obstetrician I eventually contacted Mount Carmel and met a lovely phsyio that's big into the whole SPD area and she straightened me out (literally). The physio I attended is called Claire but there's a few of them in there and I got an appointment the same week on 4063464 . You don't need a doctor's referral. I found it helped.