Penalty points & insurance

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wedjul05 Posts: 5673
I got the letter yest to say I got my first 2 pentaly points for speeding O:| :o( I could make a list of excuses but at the end of the day, I was doing 7mph over the limit. Don't want to talk about it :-8 So I'm just wondering how much this affects my insurance, on average? Is it a couple of hundred difference? Thankfully I just renewed my insurance in Jan so it won't affect me til next jan but I just need to know for my own peace of mind. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr O:| O:|
veryvalentino Posts: 259
In my own personal experience, my 2 penalty points did not affect my insurance at all.
NAUGHTYDAISY Posts: 1734
I work as an underwriter in Insurance and although it is in the UK so not sure about how it works in Ireland I would be very very shocked it you got loaded that much for 2 points, if at all. Here in the UK you normally get 3 pen points for a speeding offence and very few companies I deal with ever load for 3 points, the ones that do normally only load about 10-15%. Obviously the more points you get the higher the premium but it would be very harsh to load for 2.
ott Posts: 3920
DH has received points three times (I think), we've told the insurance company every time and our insurance premium has never increased.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
Oh ok, that's good to know girls. thanks :wv I'm such a good, careful, mindful driver. Ragin' this has happened as everyone does 80kph on this stretch of road. Wonder how many other people they caught this day?!
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Check your policy to make sure you don't need to notify your insurance company of penalty points - I do. If I get points and don't notify them immediately, then my policy is null and void. 2 penalty points added €54 to my policy (usually around €500), so it added approx. 10% to my policy.
randomusername Posts: 2134
It has nothing to do with what type of policy you have whether you tell your insurance company. You are legally obliged to tell them as soon as you receive the points! The increase in premium depends on what the points are for, 2 shouldn't change your premium but notify them immediately. If you don't they can refuse any claim you may wish to make.
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
[quote="watermelonbelly":1ih4oxz3]It has nothing to do with what type of policy you have whether you tell your insurance company. You are legally obliged to tell them as soon as you receive the points! ....[/quote:1ih4oxz3] I did not know that! I waas under the impression it was my specific policy. There you go!
LastRolo Posts: 6892
AFAIK Two penalty points don't make much of an impact on insurance..
bobbyjoe Posts: 395
I was told it was 4 points and up that will change your policy premium