Perineal Massage

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

charli Posts: 5994
girls, i never did this on pg no. 1 but said would def give it a go this time as it really does seem to work i had a really positive birth experience first time around, i was focused, managed on gas/air and felt it went really well, however getting the stitches was very sore and area very tender for at least a week at home so i am going to try my best to reduce my chances of needing stitches anyway - all old posts on this seem to be gone since the recent wipe-out i have been doing some reading up on it and am going to get started this week just wondered if anyone had any pointers? it does say to keep at it to the point where it stings a bit?! :ooh also what oils did you use any advise/feedback :thnk heres one of the links for anyone else interested http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/tec ... ineal.html
newyearbabs Posts: 686
Hi Charli I've only done it twice as I couldn't really reach and no way would I ask DH to do it! The notes a got from the midwives say to put you thumb inside your lady bits and press down towards your rectum, man does it sting. I used KY jelly but I think I read somewhere that almond oil is the best Good luck with it
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
Have heard mixed reports about how much this actually helps. Do you really reckon it's worth it??
Sassy Posts: 2269
Quite interested in this myself. I was thinking about trying it myself this week.
justwaitin Posts: 2462
hi there , i did this before ds was born for about 4 weeks, i used almond oil, available from pharmacy, didnt do a lot for me as i had an extensive tear, but i know some people on here found it helped.
silíní Posts: 4219
My friend who recently had her baby got rectal tears and has been on and on at me ever since that i must do the perineal massage, as she didn't!!!!
charli Posts: 5994
thanks for the replies girls i think it cant hurt, might give it ago though i dont know how religious i might be with it am a bit put off when it says "may sting" :ooh though i can remember the babys head crowning and while it was the sorest part of the birth it is only seconds really the stitches are tough to get (didnt have epi, just gas) and put up with so id like to avoid if possible will let you know how i go
silíní Posts: 4219
Yes i'd be interested to see how you get on, apparently it can be quite difficult to reach 'down there' also with the big bump! Good luck!