period early?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

anon15 Posts: 7
I hope someone can give me a little advice. We have decided to start trying for a baby but are taking it easy for the first while and not getting too technical with it all. I have been off the pill for nearly a year now and my cycles have settled down to between 28 and 32 days. This month is a little strange though. Last weekend, I had EWCM from Friday to Tuesday so we deicded to make the most of it as from my limited knowledge, ovulation should happen during these days. Based on this, I would not have expected my period to arrive till next week but it actually started yesterday. Am so confused by this and wondered if anyone can help explain why this would happen.
Mrs Peg Posts: 1778
Hi Anon15 - was it a full blown period or just some spotting?
Hi MrsPeg, So far its been light but my periods normally start like that and then 2 days get heavier...
I don't want to be getting your hopes up but I was thinking it may be implantation spotting, where the fertilised egg burrows into the wall of the womb. This usually happens about a week or so after fertilisation which would sound about right for you. If your last day of EWCM was last Tuesday, then you would have ovulated a day or so afterwards. Given your cycles have been 28-32 days, as you say your period shouldn't be due for another week. All I can say is just keep an eye on your period and see what happens. I really can't think of another explanation for it! I'm no expert by any means - anyone else got any other ideas?? Fingers crossed for you anon15 :)
Thanks Mrs Peg - really hope you're right, but I won't get my hopes up just yet. For now it seems to have stopped but as I say this wouldn't be unusual for the first day or two of my period. Could just be one of those things, but because I thought I was finally getting the hang of timing etc., it completely threw me yesterday when my period seemed to have arrived a week early. Will see how I get one -thanks again for your replies.
Best of luck anon15 - keep us posted :)
tasket Posts: 306
Agree with Mrs. Peg (as usual :D ) - if it was light and it's stopped, it could be implantation bleeding. Keep an eye on the situation and try to hold off on testing til as close to when your period is due as you can stand to, you'll be more likely to get a definite result that way. If you do get impatient, the First Response Early Response kits are dear, but they say they can detect pg up to 4 days before your period is due. Keep us updated! :D
Just an update on this one - I wasn't pregnant last time, unfortunately. The spotting continued for a week followed by my normal period on the expected date. I had been at the doctor for another reason and mentioned it, but he said it was nothing to worry about. However, here I am a month later, again 1 week after ovulation and the same spotting has started again. I really don't know what's going on as I've never had problems with my periods and was always pretty regular, only varying by a couple of days each month. This is only our second moneth of really trying and I'm upset that things aren't 'normal'. Im going to go back to my doctor to get checked out but just said I'd post in case anyone else experienced anything similar. Thanks
Hi anon15 - sorry to hear you didn't get the result you were hoping for. I think you're doing the right thing by going to the gp - any unexpected bleeding should always be checked out. Having done a bit of reading on it, he may do a progesterone test (as this is the hormone that kicks in after ovulation to line the womb etc and prepare the body for pregnancy) just to check your levels and maybe a biopsy of the endometrium aswell. Best of luck with it all - let us know how you get on.