Personal Trainer anyone?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
So I booked one and had my first session last night after work. It was brilliant apart from feeling the fat wobble across my body doing all that cardio, feeling faint at one point and wondering if this hell would ever end.....nice girl though..... Anyone else doing it? Are you getting good results? I have a lot of weight to shift but without exercise the diet isn't going to work for me. How many sessions do you have per week? What do you do apart from those?
Ellefun Posts: 1312
My neighbour is a personal trainer and I've went to her a few times in the past i.e when I was BM for my sister and before my own wedding. I got pretty good results and went at least twice a week to her, aswell as exercising at home and eating right. The most I lost was about 26lbs, until the money was in short supply and I fell back on old bad habits. I found it great anyway and if I could afford €40/€50 a session again I'd do it. If it works for you and you prefer it to being let loose in a gym on your own then go for it.
shellym12 Posts: 184
Ive got myself one now too in the run to the wedding, I used to go religiously last year twice a week until we needed to start saving and I felt great..... Picked up back up two weeks ago and am supplementing it with pilates and running - am sore today tho, he fairly put me through my paces last night with squatting!!!
[quote="Ellefun":3ihwwyfi]My neighbour is a personal trainer and I've went to her a few times in the past i.e when I was BM for my sister and before my own wedding. I got pretty good results and went at least twice a week to her, aswell as exercising at home and eating right. The most I lost was about 26lbs, until the money was in short supply and I fell back on old bad habits. I found it great anyway and if I could afford €40/€50 a session again I'd do it. If it works for you and you prefer it to being let loose in a gym on your own then go for it.[/quote:3ihwwyfi] Thanks Elle. Can't believe you were paying so much! This girl is based in the North and works p/t from home and charges £10ph.....I know she is cheap in comparison to others locally though. Well done on the 26lb....I have about 5 stone to shift though :-8
SunnyK Posts: 3834
Yeah Ive been going to a guy for a while now. I started the gym last October with ZERO fitness levels. Gave myself a month of just trying to get used to the machines and trying to get some sort of level of fitness jogging etc before making a show of myself going to a trainer. Then booked in with this guy and got a full workout from him. Then it kinda went along the lines that I would do that workout for about 2 months then go back to him and get a new one to mix it up a bit. About 2 months ago I lost all motivation so decided I'd book him in every Monday to give me a kick up the bum and a start to the week so that's what I've been doing the past while. Then I just need to push myself to go another 2 days and that's my strength training done and I try get out for a walk / jog the other two days. I LOVE my sessions with the trainer and feel great after them. The next day my muscles always ache cos he's been using muscles I didn't even know I had! It's 25 quid a session and I had only planned on using him up til my hols in two weeks but I'm definitely gonna try find the money to keep it up. I'd love to afford to pay him for 3 sessions a week!! I find him great as he's a fully qualified trainer and nutritionalist (sp) and not just one of the kids at the desk who probably did a short course enabling them to work in a gym - I often see them give pratcically the same workout to every girl or every guy... the guy I use goes through exactly what you want and diet etc too.
[quote="shellym12":2vqz4tjn]Ive got myself one now too in the run to the wedding, I used to go religiously last year twice a week until we needed to start saving and I felt great..... Picked up back up two weeks ago and am supplementing it with pilates and running - am sore today tho, he fairly put me through my paces last night with squatting!!![/quote:2vqz4tjn] Good luck there. I think I am just going to walk a few days per week for now till I get the fitness up a bit. OH and I are thinking of learning to swim!
Ellefun Posts: 1312
[quote:1wr3aids]Re: Personal Trainer anyone? Post by CarolinaMoon » 24 Aug 2012 10:21 Ellefun wrote:My neighbour is a personal trainer and I've went to her a few times in the past i.e when I was BM for my sister and before my own wedding. I got pretty good results and went at least twice a week to her, aswell as exercising at home and eating right. The most I lost was about 26lbs, until the money was in short supply and I fell back on old bad habits. I found it great anyway and if I could afford €40/€50 a session again I'd do it. If it works for you and you prefer it to being let loose in a gym on your own then go for it. Thanks Elle. Can't believe you were paying so much! This girl is based in the North and works p/t from home and charges £10ph.....I know she is cheap in comparison to others locally though. Well done on the 26lb....I have about 5 stone to shift though :-8[/quote:1wr3aids] Yeah, she was pretty steep with her fees. I don't know if it's because she had her own equipment and it wasn't in a gym or why... I have a lot of weight to lose myself. I'm back to square one since my time with the PT. I need to shift several stone :o( Just need someone to light a fire under me. Anyway, best of luck. You CAN do it! :o)ll
tassajara Posts: 723
I would love one, just to be able to give myself a bit of variety in my workouts and show me how to lift weights. I really need someone to show me the proper form for a lift or a move, and then at least I can do it myself then. My problem though is that I really hate grabby people, and I ended up quitting a pilates course and a yoga course because the instructors were too touchy feely (yoga) or thought that grabbing my leg or arm to force me into a position or movement I clearly couldn't do was okay (pilates).
anoncb Posts: 379
€50 - 60 is pretty standard for a good personal trainer for a one hour one-on-one session. (I know one who is €80, hard to get appointment with him, apparently he's brilliant). Best money you will ever spend if you get a decent one. You will learn how to do things properly (and realise how badly you were doing exercises for years, even in supervised classes) You will get a good variety of exercises and programmes every visit and be encouraged to set goals. You will get nutritional advice as well specific to you and your training. I was always afraid of the free weights areas in gyms, now I'm in there sweating with the men :) Do a bit of research of whoever you pick, a lot of mediocre "personal trainers" out there. I have found that the ones gyms provide as part of your membership aren't particularly useful (there are exceptions of course).
mayogalinwales Posts: 129
I've had one for the last few months and I really love it. Now I wouldn't have a huge amount of weight to lose but really wanted to tone up and look good for the wedding - get nice shapely arms etc. I have one session a week and also do pilates and a bit of gym work if I can fit it in. I actually put on weight when I first started (building muscle mass I assume) but now have lost a bit. I know I would lose more if I just put more effort into my diet - I have a real sweet tooth which I just can't seem to conquer. It has worked really well though - had my hen recently and my friends who I hadn't seen in ages and didn't know I had a PT were all saying how fit and healthy I looked. Plus I really really enjoy the sessions - was gutted last night when I realised I only have 4 more sessions to go!! Not sure I can justify the expense after the wedding with no particular goal in mind - but will probably try to think of a reason! If you can afford it and can find a good one, I would definitely go for it!