Phone hacking scandal

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
God, reading about this its upsetting, but I can't imagine how the families of Milly Dowler and Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman feel about having to think what the News of the World did. I don't understand how this isn't a criminal investigation, impeding an investigation and tampering with evidence. It also makes me wonder if the hacking impeded catching the real killers.
DublinGirl Posts: 1307
It's sick, disgusting and disgraceful. There's no respect anymore. Both horrid crimes and to think a newspaper would resort to these low measure to get a sensational headline. I certainly will not be buying the news of the world newspaper again. Those poor families.....And as you rightly said, how does anyone know that this behavious, did not interfere with catching the killers at the time......Sickening!!!!
JustBecause Posts: 3242
So disgusting. The poor families. The thought that Milly Dowler's family were given false hope when her phone messages were deleted is just so awful :o(
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
It's absolutely disgusting and they should be prosecuted.....
Emme Posts: 4735
Tarred and Feathered....but will circulation go down...not a jot I'd reckon. Disgusting way to do business but will they just pass the buck and say it was the private investigator and not a direct employee?
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
Is what they are referring to here - where it is possible to access someone's voicemail (if they don't have a password) by putting 5 after the prefix?
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
[quote="Bonnie Parker":288um6fr]Is what they are referring to here - where it is possible to access someone's voicemail (if they don't have a password) by putting 5 after the prefix?[/quote:288um6fr] I'd imagine it was more sophisticated than that since they hacked into various other people in the public eye's phones, I'm sure the likes of John Prescott and Sienna Miller would have had passwords on their voicemails
[quote="Bonnie Parker":30oa0td7]Is what they are referring to here - where it is possible to access someone's voicemail (if they don't have a password) by putting 5 after the prefix?[/quote:30oa0td7] :: What was the role of private detectives? In 2006, the information commissioner Christopher Graham told a Commons committee that private detectives have been used by a number of papers for several years to aid journalists in obtaining stories. Private investigator Glenn Mulcaire is alleged to have been on a year's contract with the News of the World in 2005 (when Mr Coulson was editor) for "research and information services", worth £104,000. He was additionally paid £12,300 in cash by Clive Goodman to call the voicemail boxes of a target and listen to their messages. The pair were caught out when the paper published a story about a knee injury to Prince William. Royal aides feared mobile phone voicemail messages had been intercepted when their new messages were being shown as old. The men would call a target's mobile, when the call was connected they would call from a different number and instead of leaving a message they would access the voicemail. This is from Sky news. BP, I'm not quite sure how they hacked all phones, if the same method was used or what they did.
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
Thanks Lux - I was always wondering what do they mean by hacking. It just sounds like they rang into their messages. Maybe it was more sophisticated - but it doesn't really sound like it!
[quote="Bonnie Parker":2g3fwue7]Thanks Lux - I was always wondering what do they mean by hacking. It just sounds like they rang into their messages. Maybe it was more sophisticated - but it doesn't really sound like it![/quote:2g3fwue7] I asked himself as he works in IT and has a lot of know-how in this area, but he said more than likely its just guys chancing their arm. It seems a lot of systems are much more open than we think.