phonecalls from work when off...................

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mariac Posts: 982
i am venting here. my job and colleagues think i am company equipment. we finish at 5.30pm and then i get phonecalls when im at home at 6.30pm or 7pm. not the whole time just sometimes. thats grand is theres an emergency. but it is just trivial stupid questions. i am sick of it. talk about taking the p***. doing homework with my 5 year old and the bloody mobile starts ringing. FFS O:| O:| O:| O:| O:|
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
i can understand your annoyance! im in health service so i dont have anything similar but could you just let the phone ring to voice mail and only reply when the reason is genuine emergency? would that work?
silíní Posts: 4219
Hi maria, i dont know what your job is but i think it's really easy to slip into patterns where you bring work home/put up with s*** without realising it. It's happened to me in the past. You just have to be really strict with yourself/them, for example turning your phone off/not answering etc. It will take them a while to get the message but eventually they will. Companies will take a mile if you give them an inch in my experience. We spend long enough at work without it eating into our family time too...
[quote="jiggy_jo":2gdf2tcp]i can understand your annoyance! im in health service so i dont have anything similar but could you just let the phone ring to voice mail and only reply when the reason is genuine emergency? would that work?[/quote:2gdf2tcp] i know - but the thing is it never is an emergency. i am totally fed up of stupid questions when i am not in work - it was the same at xmas i was off for a few days in the new year and i was getting thick calls asking where will i order stationary from at 9.15am. i think i will get rid of the voicemail all together and maybe even get DH to answer and say shes in bed or something - they might get the hint then.
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
and i meant to say that now with your pregnancy you dont need this extra stress-they are going to have to get used to not having you to lean on for every little thing when you are on mat leave. get himself to answer, and if he is anything like mine, he wont hold back in telling you are not available!
its one particular colleague - who is a nice person - but also seems to think i am a 24 hour hotline. DH goes mad. he thinks it is stupid - like we are having our dinner and the phone rings - we both had a few days off in the new year and the idiotic conversations i had to get into on the phone - i even had to say - look im off on holidays it will have to wait until next week. roll on maternity leave. am so p***** off, being taken for granted. O:| O:| O:|
silíní Posts: 4219
I feel your pain,,,,, TURN THE PHONE OFF or get DH TO ANSWER.... It's the only way.... They will keep trying for a few weeks and eventually they will cop on that they have to sort the problem out themselves!!!
mrscat Posts: 1082
I would not answer the phone, no way.