Pins & Needles and numb hands - Normal?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I am just wondering if it's normal to suffer with pins & needles and numb arms/hands at night? I've got it on both my last 2 pregnancies, so I know it happens to me but I'm wondering does it happen to others. Is it something to worry about? I ask because I'm on asprin to prevent blood clots and I think pins & needles is a circulation thing. There are some nights I wake up and can't feel my arm or hand. Thanks
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
Hi Rocket Queen, I have only started to get this in the last two weeks. I asked about it last week at my hospital appointment and was told it was carpel tunnel and very common. Apparently it is to do with extra blood flow and water retention. I get it at night when in bed and it is from my elbows down to my fingers. Goes numb and I get pins and needles. I was told that a physio can help. do ask though at your next appointment just to make sure it is the same and just so they know. hth
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Thanks Vanilla. I was afraid it google before I got a reply here, but it does seem to be carpel tunnel. Will mention it at next appointment. I remember last pregnancy I woke up during the night to go to the loo and didn't realise my leg was dead. I fell really hard and gave DH the fright of his life. I felt like such and eejit :-8 :o0 :o0
star13 Posts: 291
I was told by COns that I just had to put up with it, no feeling in tips of fingers for last 2 months. Went to 1st ante-natal physio class yesterday and the midwife had some great tips. She gave me wrist splints to wear sleeping which seem to have helped a little, even on the 1st night. Talk to a midwife or physio would be my advice, good luck.
jarashow Posts: 3083
Defo Carpel Tunnel. I had it the last time round very bad and it has started again when I straighten my hair or have my hands higher than my shooulders for any length of time, like brushing my teeth. I didn't get anything for it last time but my SIL had braces on her hands to help.