Planning a capsule wardrobe

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Babyboomerang Posts: 543
I would like to buy a few new bits coming into winter but I think I really need to plan it out. My style is usually either uber casual or dressy and I really struggle to find a happy medium. I also often end up with a nice top but no nice cardigans or jumpers to keep warm (and I like to be toasty). Any advice?? I only need a few things because I only get to dress casually at the weekends.
BusyBee29 Posts: 368
A pair of skinny black jeans are a must! They look great with chiffon blouses or t shirts and cardigans for casual look and go with comfy flat/wedge boots! I love my dresses with black tights and ankle boots and I usually have a nice winter coat!!
mammy2011 Posts: 1388
Bump, would love some advice on this too. Anything i read in magazines about capsule wardrobes suggest white shirts and LBDs. I hate shirts and a LBD isn't much use in Tesco on a Tuesday afternoon!
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I think that a good pair of black jeans (and maybe another colour too) will go a long way. I have lovely navy ones from Awear that I get loads of wear out of. I find blazers are great. You can pick up cheap ones in Pennys and Dunnes. They are brilliant with jeans. A couple of dresses to go with black tights/cardi's. A couple of t/shirt type tops in block colours to go underneath cardis/blazers A couple of jumpers??
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
My wardrobe seems to be made up of: Jeans with long-sleeve tees. I usually layer the tees, so would have a v-neck over a crew neck for example, or a short sleeve over a long sleeve. I'd mess about a bit with the colours (sometimes good, other times clash-central). I wear a lot of dresses too, with flat boots and black tights. My favourite capsule item is my long cardigan. I have a few in grey / black which I throw over everything. I'd go for mid-thigh length so it covers the bum, but isn't too long for wearing over a knee-length dress.
Babyboomerang Posts: 543
Sorry I'm only getting back to this post now. Some great ideas here. I honestly wouldn't have thought about black jeans, but it's now on my shopping list. I have a fab pair of dark blue skinnies from Karen Millen that I absolutely wore to death. I saw a photo recently and they look so washed out and they definitely need to be replaced! A decent long-ish cardigan is also on the list for sure. I need to buy a couple of tops that will go with lots of different outfits too. Would you believe, I have never owned a pair of knee high boots!! I have big feet and I always feel self conscious in them. I totally envy people that can pull off that look. Thanks for the advice girls :thnk
Any ideas on where to get the following: Long tops, that don't look maternity? I have a long back and a lot of tops are just too short on me. A nice black cardi, fairly decent quality. Not too long. Long jumpers. Please and thanks :thnk
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
[quote="mammy2011":2qsq3aql]Any ideas on where to get the following: Long tops, that don't look maternity? I have a long back and a lot of tops are just too short on me. [/quote:2qsq3aql] Do you mean day wear or more dressy, going out tops? For the former, Penneys are selling longer tops at the moment. I got long-sleeve casual tops recently, which are much longer than ones I got there before. They wash well too.
Thanks Rocksie80, ya i meant casual. I have no clothes at the moment, apart from PJs and dresses for going out.
R2theB Posts: 1660
mammy2011 (and anyone else really!!), you should check out Cos. I can't get enough of their simple but classic clothes. There's rarely anything they have that I don't like. There's no Cos shop in Ireland yet, but BT2 have a concession, and don't be put off by it being in BTs, it's no more expensive than Topshop or Zara, and the quality is great. Their website is very good too, sizing is fairly spot on.