Planning permission query....!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Genegirl Posts: 2110
At the end of our garden is a brick wall and for the past few weeks the house behind us has been building some sort of brick garage. Does anyone know if you need planning permission for this?? I rang the counil and after being put through to about 10 different people they sent me out a document and i cant make hear nor tail of it. At the moment it is about 5 bricks above the wall and they are beginning the roof now. Its really bugging me that i dont know and if he does need it i will be most certaintly reporting him. Can someone advise me??
Babybump2013 Posts: 271
hiya, from the meath co co website - "[i:zzrzbaoo][u:zzrzbaoo]Can I build a garage?[/u:zzrzbaoo] You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel for domestic pets etc., as long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 mtres in height, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3 metres (if it has any other roof type). The floor area limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres. The structure may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses. Garages, sheds etc. to the side of the house must match the finish of the house. You cannot reduce the open private space, reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house, at the side or rear of the house below 25 square metres.[/i:zzrzbaoo]" some of these things, such as the roof type, will not be clear until the structure is complete. what i would do is ring your local authority and ask to speak with the planning enforcement officer. they are generally on the ball with finding out whether a structure is permitted or not. should the garage not have permission they may be able to apply for retention of the building. this is open to objections. HTH
Oh thanks a mil! I am sure it is above 3 or 4 metres! They sent me a form to fill in and tbh i think they word it to scare you into not bothering. The way they talk about courts etc...... H2B was going to go round and speak to them - do you think this is a bad idea?
i dont know about calling around to them, i guess it would depend on what they are like (some people can get quite defensive about these things and im a chicken when dealing with these things outside of work!) some forms can be a pain but if you are worried your neighbours will find out that it was you who reported them just have an informal chat with someone in the planning department and find out exactly what info will be available to your neighbours regarding the complaint. i know when i was working in local authority the enforcement officer would investigate all complaints from members of the public. i know that they can be had to get hold off 'cos they are out of the office quite a bit but i would leave a message for them to contact you.
Thanks so much hun. Just so hard to know what to do for the better. Just want to know for sure as i think it is the height of bad manners to build when you know it is wrong. >:o(
it is! but u can get people who just either think they above the planning laws or who are ignorant of it! on the other hand they may actually have permission for it! forgot to mention that if its a relatively new house u should be able to have a look on the local authorities website and have a look at the drawings and see if the shed is on the plans.