Platinum allergy?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wifey-Pooh Posts: 2125
Any other Wollie out there having a bad reaction to platinum? My finger has a red (not irritating though) rash like dried blisters underneath my ring. It looks ugly but doesn't annoy me. Any cures? :o(
Mammypig Posts: 832
i have a slight rash (its itchy) every now and again under my ring. i think its from not taking it off thought rather than from the platinum. i leave it on all the time. its also worse when my fingers are swollen (in the heat) do you take it off often or leave it on all the time?
I leave it on all the time (well, apart from when I'm cooking or preparing food etc.) I thought it was from not drying it properly after washing my hands but I've been very careful since it cleared up after the last bout.
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Platinum is supposed to be hypoallergenic - ie you can't have an allergy to it because its such a pure metal - do a google search on allergy and platinum to see what you come up with.
Ellie - that's what I thought! But one of the girls here said it was allergy and the jewellers where I bought it also said it. I have found a cleaning method that I'm going to try at home later to see if that will clear it up - what I read on Google made far more sense than an allergy
mac6 Posts: 37
I got this too! Was at the doc and he said it must be a nickel allergy - I said the ring's meant to be effin Platinum! He said maybe there's a little in the prongs cos it was my little finger that was affected. Anyway, got some hydrocortisone cream, it cleared it right up. HTH *)
ANAIS21 Posts: 2401
I suffer with this also.. Hydrocortisyl 1% cream, is brill, might take a few days to go, but it does clear.