Platinum allergy?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wifey-Pooh Posts: 2125
Any other Wollie out there having a bad reaction to platinum? My finger has a red (not irritating though) rash like dried blisters underneath my ring. It looks ugly but doesn't annoy me. Any cures? :o(
Mammypig Posts: 832
i have a slight rash (its itchy) every now and again under my ring. i think its from not taking it off thought rather than from the platinum. i leave it on all the time. its also worse when my fingers are swollen (in the heat) do you take it off often or leave it on all the time?
Wifey-Pooh Posts: 2125
I leave it on all the time (well, apart from when I'm cooking or preparing food etc.) I thought it was from not drying it properly after washing my hands but I've been very careful since it cleared up after the last bout.
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Platinum is supposed to be hypoallergenic - ie you can't have an allergy to it because its such a pure metal - do a google search on allergy and platinum to see what you come up with.
Wifey-Pooh Posts: 2125
Ellie - that's what I thought! But one of the girls here said it was allergy and the jewellers where I bought it also said it. I have found a cleaning method that I'm going to try at home later to see if that will clear it up - what I read on Google made far more sense than an allergy
mac6 Posts: 37
I got this too! Was at the doc and he said it must be a nickel allergy - I said the ring's meant to be effin Platinum! He said maybe there's a little in the prongs cos it was my little finger that was affected. Anyway, got some hydrocortisone cream, it cleared it right up. HTH *)
ANAIS21 Posts: 2401
I suffer with this also.. Hydrocortisyl 1% cream, is brill, might take a few days to go, but it does clear.
1