Platinum and White Gold

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Milly83 Posts: 3620
Hi All We bought my e-ring in a well known jewlers. I went there a couple of weeks ago to see about getting it resized. I also enquired about a wedding band. My e-ring is platinum and I was under the impression that I had to wear a platinum wedding band. The jeweler said no. She said that I could wear white gold next to it as long as I got the white gold band dipped every year. I thought this was great as it saves a lot of money. However, I have heard stories since about e-rings and wedding bands getting destroyed by each other. I also researched it online and they do wear each other down. I knew that they wear each other down but is this over a long period of time or is it right away? I really want to save money on my wedding ring. Does anything know the actual answer to this question because I am just getting different answers from everyone. Thanks :wv
glowgal Posts: 949
Im not exactly sure about the wearing down but my e ring is platinum and Im getting a platinum wedding ring. The wedding ring is one thing I personally wouldn't try and save money on, you will wear it forever so I think its worth putting the extra money into the right ring.
I know I should spend more and I know I will be wearing it forever but we just can't afford it and I want to get it as cheap as I possibly can.
MrsWhippy09 Posts: 2346
I have to agree with autumnbridetobe about spending that bit extra on the rings. Is there any chance you could borrow the money from your parents for the rings now and then you can pay them back when you have the money. Have you shopped around? You don't necessarily have to go to the jewellers where you bought your e-ring..
I have shopped around. It just happened that this came up when I was in the jewelers where we got the ering. I have checked online as well and there are some lovely affordable platinum bands from the states but I am not sure about ordering it incase I don't like it when I get it. I can't borrow money off my parents because they are giving us enough as it is. I might just buy it online and get it over with. It's a pity because the white gold one had a lovely row of diamonds on it and for that on platinum, it's just so expensive.
SummerBride82 Posts: 323
Hi GoldenBride.I am getting a white gold wedding ring with my platinum enagagement ring. The price difference is MAd! now I must say,the white gold one is expensive too bit the platinum one was almost a grand dearer! The one i picked has a matt and a shiney white gold on either side of diamonds going around the ring.The Jewler said that white gold is much stonger now and will not tarnish the e ring or vice vera.It costs roughly €40 a year to have it dipped.My mother (r.i.p)went to him for years with her rings and always found him to be reliable and id trust her! Anyway, its not even that important about the ring( believe me I do love a bit of bling!) but the wedding is about you and your new hubby,if you never wore your ring you'd still be A MRS! If you wanted, but the white gold now, and in a few years get a new one and have it blessed by the priest. Good Luck *)
derrylon Posts: 107
hey girls not to disappoint you but a friend of mine went with white gold & really regrets it. The rings dulls very quickly and has even turned yellow. It hasn't even been a year yet & its ready for a dipping. It just spoils the bling of her e-ring. I think i'd go with the platinum and save yourself the hassle of dipping every year. Obviously its your choice but i just wanted to let you know. Good luck..
Thanks SummerBride. I will think about it more. My SIL told me that her friend's e-ring is platinum and that it started to get destroyed in a matter of a few months. I thought platinum could withstand that. If anyone actually wears these 2 metals together, could you give me some advice? Thanks
[quote="derrylon":11aufd3g]hey girls not to disappoint you but a friend of mine went with white gold & really regrets it. The rings dulls very quickly and has even turned yellow. It hasn't even been a year yet & its ready for a dipping. It just spoils the bling of her e-ring. I think i'd go with the platinum and save yourself the hassle of dipping every year. Obviously its your choice but i just wanted to let you know. Good luck..[/quote:11aufd3g] Thanks Derrylon. We may have to fork out but online is looking like the best option at the moment. I just hope that it looks ok when I receive it. Will probably order it next month.
SummerBride82 Posts: 323
Oh Girls .Ye have me in a pickle now!Why did the Jewler say that so? He said that I might have to dip it twice a year, but I woudnt mind. It would really have cost a lot!!Dont want to start talking figures! Its the white gold that wears.not the platinum. White gold will wear on its own also.My h2b gave me a white gold ring when he proposed before e-ring!Thats yellowed a bit in 4 months but nothing mad! oh lads, feck it,dont know what to do!! O:|