please help! i havnt a clue !

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bx Posts: 288
hi we are hoping to marry in september 09. my h2b is catholic but i am from england and i am church of england. i have been living here for 5 years but am unsure of how church marriage will work for us. i dont really know where to go for advice, so wondered if any of ye could help me out?? many thanks bx
goldie. Posts: 1233
Hi ya, I think you can basically play this anyway you want. Friend of mine married a COE guy recently and they had a catholic cermony with a blessing from the local rector. Worked out beautifully. Get your H2B to contact his local priest and see what he suggests.
TokenMale Posts: 6845
Responded in the other thread, but it's not clear to me whether you want a wedding in a Catholic church or Church of Ireland church. The Church of Ireland route is significantly easier, generally, although it can be done in either.
thanks for that girls, my family are not religious at all so i really don't know much about religion. well to be honest i don't mind where we marry, like yiu say though c of i may be easier. thanks again bx
willful Posts: 6822
CofI would probably be easier TBH, I'm Methodist and married a Catholic. We had a Methodist service and there were so few hoops to jump through compaired to an RC wedding. Also the minister was quite flexible about music and what we wanted to include in the service so we got exactly what we wanted. There was less paperwork too! Only thing you might need to check is the Banns. I think they've to be read 3 weeks in a row before your wedding and I'm not sure if you've to be there for that or not. But that's ages away anyway!
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="willful":1zn884p7] Only thing you might need to check is the Banns. I think they've to be read 3 weeks in a row before your wedding and I'm not sure if you've to be there for that or not. But that's ages away anyway![/quote:1zn884p7] They've been done away with under the new marriage rules, Willful.
Barbara Ann Posts: 1032
Hi Bx We married in September. I'm a Catholic and DH is Presbyterian. I'm not very religous and DH goes to church a lot so I dicided not to be a hippocrate insisting on a big Catholic church wedding and booked DH church. The minister was lovely anf he gave us a free reign to do whatever we wanted with the ceremony. So we added the lighting of the candles into the ceremone and I had the Ave Maria sang just to keep some on my side happy. Everyone complimented on the service and said it was the nicest wedding service they had been to in a long time. I'm sure hubby won't mind you having it in a Church of England Church and then maybe you could ask the church if you could add a few things from your H2B's side. Best of luck with everything.
thanks girls, thats great. having meeting with h2b priest next week to discuss options!