please help me (us!) decide!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

realta Posts: 820
hi everyone, really torn between two ideas at the moment we've 120 people booked for a sit down meal on our wedding day we'd be ok to pay for this at the moment BUT with recent economy meltdown we're thinking maybe we should be a bit more cautious and not put all our spare money into the wedding SO we're now thinking 40 close family and friends for ceremony and meal and then 200+ for big party with band, fingerfood buffet, drinks and dancing. it would save us about 6-7 thousand i think.
Sassypants Posts: 4461
I picked the first one cos that's what we're doing. The afters will be a huge party but the ceremony and reception will be intimate and loving and emotional (well, that's what I'm hoping for anyway) No matter what you pick it will be lovely, cos it will be you and your person, celebrating your love. :lvs :lvs :lvs
maltabride2011 Posts: 987
[quote="sassyjenni":2j7bgctu]No matter what you pick it will be lovely, cos it will be you and your person, celebrating your love. [/quote:2j7bgctu] +1 = beautifully put sassyjenni! I would go for the first option too, you'd save so much money, and really it would mean the day would be even more intimate and special.
Penny Hill Posts: 1898
Its hard to know really. I guess it just depends on who you REALLY want there for the ceremony and reception. Its hard to keep the list small, as you won't please everyone in this situation. Think about it until you really have to decide
starbar10 Posts: 991
What do you want? I don't think a poll can answer that for you We ended up inviting 200 people because of the inlaws but in the end 150 came and that was what we wanted originally so it ended up well. For me having my friends and family there was important to me and the same for h2b so we couldn't have a small intimate affair but we loved what we had
bridenl Posts: 454
I would personally have the full 120 there for the whole day as the ones that come in the evening you will bearly see. I found it hard to get talking to everyone on the day and they were all there for the whole day and we only had 80 guests. I can however see what you mean on the cost of it. I think this is something only you can decide as you will know in your heart who you really want to be there for the whole day and if that is the 120 then i would go for that
happyfamily Posts: 3323
I'm having everyone to the full day as I think it the future when all the economic crap has settled-i'd regret it. It's the one chance in your life to give all your friends and family the "big day out"!! If you can afford it-do it!
Bellisima Posts: 3583
I like the previous posters description of it being 'economic crap'. Perhaps thats an ignorant attitude to be taking but I think if you spend within your means that its ok to have the wedding of your dreams. Ive read some of your other posts and you seem to be a bit unclear about what kind of wedding you want. I know you're asking other peoples opinions in this thread but I really think you have to have the wedding YOU want. I personally think that if you both are in employment and are not getting yourselves into serious debt then you should do what YOU want. If this is having 300 people for a traditional wedding then do it, if its having 100 people for a traditional wedding do that, if its having a small wedding with family only do that. I think that the fact that you only plan to get married once should allow you to do it the way you want. Like how many recessions are we going to live through - probably more than this. Marriage is for better or worse - if you experience rubbish financial times in the future I think you'll deal with that - once you've not racked up tons of debt from the wedding. I think you should try to relax a bit about all this financial meltdown stuff - maybe stay away from the news for the next week or so :wv
tnydancer Posts: 100
[quote="Mrs PR":2q9jowgq]I like the previous posters description of it being 'economic crap'. Perhaps thats an ignorant attitude to be taking but I think if you spend within your means that its ok to have the wedding of your dreams. Ive read some of your other posts and you seem to be a bit unclear about what kind of wedding you want. I know you're asking other peoples opinions in this thread but I really think you have to have the wedding YOU want. I personally think that if you both are in employment and are not getting yourselves into serious debt then you should do what YOU want. If this is having 300 people for a traditional wedding then do it, if its having 100 people for a traditional wedding do that, if its having a small wedding with family only do that. I think that the fact that you only plan to get married once should allow you to do it the way you want. Like how many recessions are we going to live through - probably more than this. Marriage is for better or worse - if you experience rubbish financial times in the future I think you'll deal with that - once you've not racked up tons of debt from the wedding. I think you should try to relax a bit about all this financial meltdown stuff - maybe stay away from the news for the next week or so :wv[/quote:2q9jowgq] +1 Could not have said it better myself! :yelrotflmaosmilie:
realta Posts: 820
[quote="Mrs PR":2qxxgyuu]I like the previous posters description of it being 'economic crap'. Perhaps thats an ignorant attitude to be taking but I think if you spend within your means that its ok to have the wedding of your dreams. Ive read some of your other posts and you seem to be a bit unclear about what kind of wedding you want. I know you're asking other peoples opinions in this thread but I really think you have to have the wedding YOU want. I personally think that if you both are in employment and are not getting yourselves into serious debt then you should do what YOU want. If this is having 300 people for a traditional wedding then do it, if its having 100 people for a traditional wedding do that, if its having a small wedding with family only do that. I think that the fact that you only plan to get married once should allow you to do it the way you want. Like how many recessions are we going to live through - probably more than this. Marriage is for better or worse - if you experience rubbish financial times in the future I think you'll deal with that - once you've not racked up tons of debt from the wedding. I think you should try to relax a bit about all this financial meltdown stuff - maybe stay away from the news for the next week or so :wv[/quote:2qxxgyuu] thanks so much Mrs PR :thnk I tend to be a worrier, particularly when it comes to money matters I do need to chill out :cool and stop stressing about it cheers O-O