Please help - what are my rights here?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sally76 Posts: 525
Apologies if you've read this already in Off Topic, but I could really do with some advice. A shop has lost something very precious belonging to me and I don’t know what to do next. I’m getting married next week and, because we don’t have much money to spare, I drew a portrait of OH and me as a wedding present for him. I used to draw a lot when I was younger but hadn’t time after I left school. Himself has been on at me for years and years to get started again, saying that he’d love to see what I could do. So I drew us for the wedding and it took me five whole days. I was actually quite pleased with it and was really looking forward to giving it to H2B. It was to be a surprise for him. I left it into a shop to be framed two-and-a-half weeks ago. I explained to the man that it was a wedding present for my husband and told him that it was really important to me. I called back into the shop a few days later, only to be told that it wasn’t ready. I telephoned a couple of days later and it still wasn’t ready. I called again (the day before yesterday) and I was told that my picture had been lost. I’m really, really upset about this. It took me so long to do, and it meant an awful lot to me. I have nothing else to give my fiancé as a wedding present and I feel terrible. The man in the shop said he’ll keep looking, but I’m not hopeful at this stage. Is anyone out there a solicitor, or do you know a solicitor or anyone who could tell me what to do next? My lovely surprise has completely unraveled and it has just put a big dark cloud over everything, to be honest. If anyone has any advice as to what options are open to me, I’d really be very grateful as I’m so upset about this.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Oh no! That is awful! I'm so sorry to hear this. I have no legal advice, I just wanted to sympathise. Did the shop give any explanation as to how this happened? It's so bizarre.
sugarkk Posts: 1384
You poor thing... you have my sympathies too. I think at this stage, so close to the wedding, you should try to move on from it isn't a dark cloud. Me and my hubs didn't exchange gifts - your day is going to be so fabulous. Then, when you get back from HM you can follow it up. I do think you should be compensated. This is incredibly bad form. Sorry I've no better advice... just don't let it get you too down. :action32
Sally76 Posts: 525
Thanks girls, even to hear someone say that I'm not over-reacting is a help. The man in the shop said that it "wasn't the end of the world" and that I should have plenty of other things to be thinking about, this close to the wedding. I'm going to go down there again at lunchtime and see if he's really looking, although I've nearly given up hope at this stage, now. I'd say my picture is in a bin somewhere...
mellowmood Posts: 433
[quote:3eba6km2]The man in the shop said that it "wasn't the end of the world" and that I should have plenty of other things to be thinking about, this close to the wedding.[/quote:3eba6km2] OMG PATRONISING PR1CK!
mshelly Posts: 746
"The man in the shop said that it "wasn't the end of the world" and that I should have plenty of other things to be thinking about, this close to the wedding." OMG, i can't believe that he actually said that to you >:o( . I think you need to name and shame him as I understand that this is his business and I would have thought that losing an order for a customer is not how one keeps a business running. I think it might be useful for you to put a call into the Joe Duffy line and let him know that you will go on air to tell people about this and about his attitude towards the fact that he has lost what would have been a very precious gift to your Husband to be. No one wants bad publicity in this recession.
Chocolatebuttons Posts: 369
[quote="mellowmood":2nvluo3j][quote:2nvluo3j]The man in the shop said that it "wasn't the end of the world" and that I should have plenty of other things to be thinking about, this close to the wedding.[/quote:2nvluo3j][/quote:2nvluo3j] This would make my blood boil, the b*****d! Id be down again straight away demanding to know where my picture was and what he was going to do about it if he couldn't find it. The cheek of him. What kind of way is that to run a business.
Chocolatebuttons Posts: 369
[/quote]I think it might be useful for you to put a call into the Joe Duffy line and let him know that you will go on air to tell people about this and about his attitude towards the fact that he has lost what would have been a very precious gift to your Husband to be. No one wants bad publicity in this recession.[/quote] I agree, at least threaten to get onto Joe Duffy, you might get over him losing it eventually if he wasnt such a pr**k about it.
bellybabe Posts: 153
[quote="mshelly":muzujbcs]"The man in the shop said that it "wasn't the end of the world" and that I should have plenty of other things to be thinking about, this close to the wedding." OMG, i can't believe that he actually said that to you >:o( . I think you need to name and shame him as I understand that this is his business and I would have thought that losing an order for a customer is not how one keeps a business running. I think it might be useful for you to put a call into the Joe Duffy line and let him know that you will go on air to tell people about this and about his attitude towards the fact that he has lost what would have been a very precious gift to your Husband to be. No one wants bad publicity in this recession.[/quote:muzujbcs] Agreed. He can't speak to you like that, it is his shop's fault!
Sweet8 Posts: 1285
[quote="Sally76":svdhdxt3] The man in the shop said that it "wasn't the end of the world" and that I should have plenty of other things to be thinking about, this close to the wedding. I'm going to go down there again at lunchtime and see if he's really looking, although I've nearly given up hope at this stage, now. I'd say my picture is in a bin somewhere...[/quote:svdhdxt3] Oh my God... I can't believe he said that... I would go right down there and let rip! Warn him that you'll get onto some local papers, radio stations, websites etc. The cheek of him!! >:o(