Please help! Where do I start???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Veruca-Salt Posts: 1542
Hi all, just got engaged on Christmas morning- was a total surprise (even after all these years!) and I have a million and one people asking me have we set the date!!! Ahhhh! What do we need to do? How much will it cost? Do we need to re-mortgage the house??? If anyone has any words of wisdom I would really, really love to hear them! Thanks in advance! x
the winner Posts: 4148
Congrats on your engagement:D :D Cost is completely up to you... my wedding inc a 5k honeymoon is about 26k... and I've done some serious savings in there... But some people can do it for 10k... really up to your own taste and budget:D Take your time before deciding anything.. enjoy the champers and fun of being newly engaged:D What area are you in ? theres so many nice venue out there and you can be sure there will be people in your area online here to give you advice:D Open the sparkly stuff to match your sparkly ring and enjoy the fun:D *) *) *)
MyDreamWedding1 Posts: 1281
The cost will depend on a lot of factors really, just take your time and enjoy the fun of being engaged. Discuss it with your friends and family but don't be pushed into anything. Once you decide on a date the main things to do really are to book the church and venue. Then maybe set a budget and see how big you want to go. The big things that need to be booked after the venue is the band and the florists. You will get loads of advice on here so just ask. Oh and congratulations.
ellablue Posts: 148
Congrats to you!! I got engaged this time last year..Cant believe how fast the past year has gone.. It really is unreal.. Your budget can be anything. It depends on how many people you want to invite too..Im having a normal size wedding with approx 90 guests..have opted for one bridesmaid and one bestman..not having any wedding cars, cake made by aunt, friend doing flowers, invites bought in tesco for 20 euro! and with all this we are still going to spend around 25k enjoy the planning!!
Chococat Posts: 1632
Congratulations & Welcome to WOL :wv
Twirler Posts: 1644
Congratulations. First thing to do is sit down with your h2b and decide what sort of wedding you want - as in, traditional church wedding, civil ceremony, go away for a beach wedding just the two of you. Then do a rough estimate of a guest list and start looking at locations. It would also be useful to figure out how much you want to spend at this point. You will probably go over but at least you can have an idea in your head and you can rule out some locations based on that.
outdoorgirl Posts: 610
Congratulations. The wedding can be as expensive or reasonable as you allow it. So the first step is to sit down and talk about what you both would like for your wedding and working out a realistic budget. Also having a good idea of how many guests you'd both like. You can get a breakdown of costs on this site easily enough. There are hundreds of past threads about what people have spent so search through a few and you'll have a better idea of what is to come! Getting onto this site is the best way to go for planning! Good luck
tweedledee Posts: 329
The main part is setting the date and deciding on the budget, once you know these everything else falls into place.
HamletBride Posts: 376
I was you this time last year and the first thing we did was decided on was the season and year we wanted to get married and then decided that we would not travel more then 30mins from the church so we went and looked at a few hotels and were so thrilled our first choice had our date. The next thing we did was did a very rough numbers list and then decided we would have everyone we wanted there and save our bum off. The next thing I did you have done already and join WOL cause it is the bible for tips on savings and ideas. Anything you want advice on you will get it here :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll CONGRATULATIONS
bride2011 Posts: 66
congratulations jut love the way the suppliers congratulate everyone :D Hey missus to be it can cost as little or as much as you want it too Make a list leave out the stuff you dont need first add that up and then one at a time add in the things u would like until you reach your limit then draw the line.. Thats what ive been doing leaving extras like chair covers to last and fountains and stuff The hotel wines a rip off!!! ive everything else well sussed priced although ive no cake :D