Please suggest a wedding present

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daff Posts: 11644
My Dad wants me to help him buy a present for a wedding coming up. It's the son of friends of his but he's not going to the wedding. He still wants to get a really nice present. I said cash but he said no he wants to get a gift for them. My mind has totally gone blank! I don't know the couple apart from they're my age (30 :weep ) and have lived in their own place about 3 years. Any suggestions? We need to get it tomorrow so quick replies would be greatly appreciated!
stick Posts: 1229
we got a lovely set of Kuttle tipperary cystal muos, they are very colourful. i :lvs them FIL's work collegue gave them to us
lilybelle Posts: 424
you probably don't have the time for this but this is something i really wanted. do you know the coats of arms for family names there mounted on wooden plaque you can get one with bride and groom names together. but they would have to be ordered but something to keep in mind if you get asked again :)
lux Posts: 6270
Oh, no I hate any of those coats of arms-I think they are very much a personal taste, thank god we didn't get one. I second some good household item. We got a slow cooker which I love, as we both work funny hours it is a brilliant item we never would have thought of buying. I also would have loved a really good set of knives as I cook a lot.
lilybelle Posts: 424
[quote="lux":3lcvn9yy]Oh, no I hate any of those coats of arms-I think they are very much a personal taste, thank god we didn't get one. I second some good household item. We got a slow cooker which I love, as we both work funny hours it is a brilliant item we never would have thought of buying. I also would have loved a really good set of knives as I cook a lot.[/quote:3lcvn9yy] ha ha lux diferent folks different strokes i am sure i am in the minority of liking them don't think DH even likes them :o0 :o0 :o0 yes slower cooker would be good anything but steak knives we got 4 sets between house-warming engagement and wedding presents :yelrotflmaosmilie: now theres a thought wanna buy some steak knives lovemybaby! :o0
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Sorry, I'm another one who hates those coats of arms. I think they're awful tacky looking yokes. Perhaps a voucher for a really good restaurant OP? So the couple could have a nice meal on their return from honeymoon or something. We got lovely lovely presents off guests, was very pleased with a Beleek silver photo frame in particular, elegant and simple but so beautiful. BUT we did get 38 wine glasses and 16 steakknives! So we don't need any of those for a while! I'd go for a voucher or again, mention the cash to your Dad. It really is a surefire hit as a present!
stick Posts: 1229
[quote="lilybelle":3te2gpxw][quote="lux":3te2gpxw]Oh, no I hate any of those coats of arms-I think they are very much a personal taste, thank god we didn't get one. I second some good household item. We got a slow cooker which I love, as we both work funny hours it is a brilliant item we never would have thought of buying. I also would have loved a really good set of knives as I cook a lot.[/quote:3te2gpxw] ha ha lux diferent folks different strokes i am sure i am in the minority of liking them don't think DH even likes them :o0 :o0 :o0 yes slower cooker would be good anything but steak knives we got 4 sets between house-warming engagement and wedding presents :yelrotflmaosmilie: now theres a thought wanna buy some steak knives lovemybaby! :o0[/quote:3te2gpxw] knives are meant to be bad luck to give as a pressie i love the coat of arms.
lux Posts: 6270
[quote="stick":hq49xr2q]knives are meant to be bad luck to give as a pressie i love the coat of arms.[/quote:hq49xr2q] For who, the giver or the receiver? I don't believe that stuff so it wouldn't bother me! Actually, we got some Blue Book vouchers as gifts which was great because we can plan a nice dinner out or night away at no cost to us!
grazia Posts: 740
voucher for a nice hotel, resteraunt or department store are alway good. I think house stuff is alway a bit risky as everyone has such different taste i for one would hate a coat of arms but others may love it! If its not right it will jsut go to the attic & its such a waste.
Ilovetoast Posts: 2267
I agree with the voucher... everyone gets frames, glasses etc.... even go to the Newbridge shop and look for something a little different..