'Plus Guest' on invites question!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

PrincessBride_07 Posts: 517
.... Posts: 667
princess buttercup Posts: 1457
We're doing the same - single friends that know others at the wedding, and will be able to share hotels rooms with them, get an invite for themselves only, other single friends that don't, get a plus one. Our venue was very limited as to numbers, so we could't afford to invite people we didn't know - we'd have met the intended "plus ones" a few times already anyway - one of my friends is bringing her sister, another is bringing her ex (they still get on) etc.
Lucy2007 Posts: 427
To be honest i didnt think that we should have to put H2B thought it might be very rude not too *) *) A lot of our friends are single and I know some of them will bring someone but most of them wont as it will be too much of a hassle to be looking after someone all day
marzo08 Posts: 114
Definitely avoiding the 'plus guest' thing - like you said, you don't want complete strangers at your wedding. I just feel that, trying to keep numbers down you inevitably don't invite someone you'd like to, so it's a bit annoying when someone else gets to invite someone they don't even know that well!!! FWIW I've been BM a few times and had absolutely no expectation of getting a plus guest invite.
Mrs Snuffleupagus Posts: 554
This pi$$es me off O:| O:| O:| Cause we are in the same situation, but H2B thinks it would be rude not to add '& guest' O:| O:| As long as there will be a gang of them there I wouldn't consider it rude Princess Bride
Cork_girl Posts: 525
We haven't done plus guest for the single friends (there's only a couple) apart from two of my friends who have recently split up with husband/boyfriend and I'm not sure if they would feel comfortable going to a wedding by themselves.
mollydot Posts: 24
hi girls, i'll tell you my story of my recent plus guest invite dilemma. gave a plus guest invite during the week and received a call asking would it be ok to bring a child as the guest O:| O-O O-O I am not the most assertive of people and really felt put on the spot So if I had the time back again I wouldn't be giving plus guest invites to single people without partners >:o)
daboy Posts: 229
[quote="Marzo08":1944lwr8]Definitely avoiding the 'plus guest' thing - like you said, you don't want complete strangers at your wedding. I just feel that, trying to keep numbers down you inevitably don't invite someone you'd like to, so it's a bit annoying when someone else gets to invite someone they don't even know that well!!! FWIW I've been BM a few times and had absolutely no expectation of getting a plus guest invite.[/quote:1944lwr8] Good reply Marzo08 Now! Its all quite simple I think. (I'm an engineer so logic is my job...) The reason to extend a "+Guest" invite is so that your friend/ relative isnt on their own. If they are part of a group of wider friends who they know very well, then they wont be lonely will they? As i mentioned in another thread on the same question, Ive had a friend who brought a girl that he [b:1944lwr8]met in the pub[/b:1944lwr8] the week previous, just to have someone on his shoulder. That has polarised my view on the matter so only long term girl/ boy -friends will be automatically invited to our wedding, IF the person isnt part of a bigger group. To be fair, my missus' single friends are happy with this policy as it saves them needing to source a [i:1944lwr8]random male body[/i:1944lwr8] for the day and leaves them to have the craic themselves rather than looking after some bloke that knows nobody and to whom they have no attachment themselves.
mrs aug 07 Posts: 817
We are only extending the plus guest invite to people who dont know others and there has been no problem. One friend started seeing a really nice guy after the invites went out and since then I have asked if she would like to bring him along and she said no she is going with the girls to have a good time and he would only be in her way :o0 :o0