Poem for deceased friend

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

smurph30 Posts: 72
One of my best friends died in tragic circumstances 3 years ago and I miss her dearly. I would like to have something, maybe a poem, dedicated to her in my mass booklet and wonder does anyone maybe have any suggestions for this?
Kazza08 Posts: 219
I'm really sorry to hear you lost your friend, I hope I don't offend, but would a prayer of the faithful solely for her be something you would consider?
irishcolleen Posts: 38
I'm having the following for my brother: Prayer of faithfull: We remember the smiles and laughter of all those who have gone before us, who would have loved to share in the joy and happiness of this day. We pray that one day we will be united in our eternal home. Lord hear us. Just after lighting of the cangles section: For those we have loved and lost along the way, A flame to remember them burns here today. For the laughter, smiles and memories remain, Together today their presence sustains. Never forgotten and loved forever more, Today their blessings flicker and soar. Got these on WOL
Not at all, thanks for replying. I thought about that but didnt know whether it would be right to single any person out in the prayers of the faithful as both our grandparents are deceased aswell and wondered would it seem right?
Thank you for the replies, I had thought of putting a small picture of her and a poem underneath on the mass booklet or maybe just saying she was missed today and always. Do you think this would be inappropriate or perhaps too sad on a happy day?
Kazza08 Posts: 219
Those prayers are really lovely irishcolleen. smurph30, the other thing you could do is to give the names of your individual grandparents and your friend as opposed to just praying for those you have lost, because I think if you are going to put in a prayer for your friend then you are singling her out anyway.
Yeah you are probably right Kazza08, maybe including names then in prayers of the faithful would be the best way to handle it. Thanks.
Another thing i would advise is to run it by her family if they are attending the wedding. I know its your wedding day etc. but there is nothing worse than sitting down and seeing and hearing all this unexpectantly. I have decided not to single my brother out, although i know it will be obvious to everyone around. The only mention will be on the menus, something like 'Instead of favours, a donation has been made to xxx in memory of xxx'.
Absulutely, I totally agree with you irishcolleen, would definitely be doing this if I decided to have a poem on the booklet or anything like that. Think I will just leave it to the prayer of faithful anyway and maybe just generally. She will be in my heart that day and thats whats important really.
Exactly. I had been told to do this and mention him there etc. but thought what really matters is that i know he will be with me that day, as he is every day. Regarding the poem, i will probably put it in the front or the back of the mass booklet, just like the 'Today i marry my best friend' etc. I dont think the priest will be saying it. This is just my own personal opionion, each to their own.