Poll - good/bad to shop online/in north

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
I've a few big purchases coming up and I can save myself hundreds, possibly thousands, by shopping in the north. I'm considering it as it will make my limited budget stretch a bit further. However, the thought of taking my business out of the local area makes me feel a little guilty! What do you think? Should I just think of myself, or act for the greater good and do my bit for the economy here?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Depends on the savings to be made. I wouldn't be rushing to Newry to save €20 on a washing machine but equally I sometimes find local businesses are not good value for money. We had several really poor customer service experiences with small local operators, you'd think with the constant talk of how bad business is they'd be dying to get the work but we were really messed around by a few family runs places, so we took our business elsewhere. Cheapest isn't always best either, sometimes spending a bit more works out better in the long run. I have less and less loyalty to businesses that are still ripping people off though. Saved a good bit on stuff for our wedding by going online.
Mari yay Posts: 4045
If you feel guilty would you not chance going to the local places and asking them outright to match the northern prices?
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
I don't think it's selfish to buy on line (you can also buy Irish on line) or in the north. As ACS says - it depends really, I wouldn't be breaking my back to buy Irish if the are huge savings to be made elsewhere. Everyone has to make decisions based on their own circumstances. I make an effort to buy Irish brands and to buy from small local producers when I can. But within reason.
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":22ejau5c]Cheapest isn't always best either[/quote:22ejau5c] It'll be branded stuff so I'd be buying like for like, except for the price. [quote:22ejau5c][b:22ejau5c]Mari yay[/b:22ejau5c] If you feel guilty would you not chance going to the local places and asking them outright to match the northern prices?[/quote:22ejau5c] Good idea, but I think with taxes and the likes, the prices just can't be matched.
macattack Posts: 1617
Hi FF. I have to say if was me I'd try to make savings where I could. If you do decide to go for the North I'm not sure Newry is the way to go. It's actually quite exspensive compared to the rest of the North. I'm from the North & wouldn't shop in Newry. If it's electrical stuff you're after, there's an excellent place near where I'm from. I can PM you the details if you like.
Thanks Macattack - I PM'd you!
GigglingMonkey Posts: 514
I would like to buy Irish and support local shops but in this day and age you go for the cheapest contender! If going up north saves you a good bit of money - well then go for and not feel guilty about it.
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
If its a substantial saving then I would doit if I were you. Not everyone can afford to pay out extra money for "the greater good" especially whe its like for like. I am from the south and now live in the north and the difference in some (not all though) items is insane. A total rip off.
Twinkle toe Posts: 1025
I too live near the border & would do most big shopping in the North. What I object too is where English businesses charge waaayy over the odds for the same thing on both sides of the border. RIver Island and Debenhams come to mind when I think of extortionate pricing. Now the VAT rates are simliar now 21% - Eire & 20& - UK. So I'm guessing it must be transport costs that they justify the high price differences for.