POLL: Have you ever worn a BM dress more than once?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
Just curious as I have 3 BM dresses in my wardrobe & honestly doubt I will wear any of them ever again, despite being assured by each bride that I would, to get them cut up etc etc. Time to visit the charity shop methinks. Though I did "joke" with a fellow BM that we would sell our matching dresses as a pair, but we didn't want to offend the bride in case she ever found out. It got me wondering if anyone ever wears them a second time, I have yet to meet anyone who has. So, have any Wollies out there gotten more use out of a BM dress?
starzzzz Posts: 1123
Once but I was bridesmaid for my sister when I was 17 so my grad was a few months later so I wore the bridesmaids dress to it as luckily it was a very nice dress and not obviously a bm dress. My sister has re wore all her bridesmaids dresses and she has been bm 4/5 times but she works in an area that she would have alot of black tie events to go to.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I've never been a bm but I've known people rewear Coast bm dresses etc. The official bm dresses not so much. My sister was my bm and the dress has never been rework. I might pass it on if someone's lookingfor a formal dress. I think brides are kidding themselves saying the dress is a gift to the bms-most don't wear such dresses unless they're doing bm duty and won't wear them again.
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Agree ACS. BM dress does not cut it as a gift, they're never worn again. I actually haven't gotten my BMs a gift yet (nearly 2 years later) but I won't delude myself by saying the dress was their gift!
Mrs Stewart Posts: 443
Have been a BM twice & never wore either dress. They were actually really, really similar so offered my friend, to just use the one I had from my sister's wedding (as I was my friend's only BM) but she said no & forked out for a dress anyway. They were both pretty ugly & I got rid of them fairly sharpish after the last wedding. I like to think my own BM dresses were more tasteful but i'm sure they'll never be worn either. And no way would I have considered them my friends gifts.
ructions Posts: 2689
z
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
Unfortunately, I don't get invited to many prom queen themed parties. I'm going to make that one of my goals for 2014. That and fitting back into them.
Lorna Doone Posts: 737
Most BM dresses are hideous... I think it's a really good idea to choose a less formal look that can be worn again. To another wedding say? I also think everything should be bought for a BM & no expense incurred by her. But no need to give a gift...
craftyPB Posts: 2625
Mum made ours for my sister's wedding, I've worn it twice since, to a ball and to a debs, plan to wear it to a wedding next year, it is a short petrol-blue dress, has a lovely swing to the skirt, a high boat neck, with quite a low back, I loved it at the time (2010) and still love it, it's been taken in a bit since then, and may get taken out again at some point! :P But I have to disagree with 'most BM dresses are hideous!', perhaps 20 years ago, but now most brides have stunning dresses for their girls to wear! I'm hopefully getting mum to make 3 dresses for my BM's.... they'll be long and grey, but probably three different styles.... the girls may or may not wear them again.... They will get them, their shoes, their tans, nails, hair and makeup all done at my expense.... they can organise their own waxes, laser hair removal etch!! :D They'll also get a little gift, nothing too expensive to thank them for standing by me and supporting me....i've found grey and yellow (my wedding colours) make up bag with their initials from Oliver Bonus, think i'll get them and pop some of their favourite make up in it for them...
Lorna Doone Posts: 737
[quote="ruthiem":1o6zbyy8]But I have to disagree with 'most BM dresses are hideous!', perhaps 20 years ago, but now most brides have stunning dresses for their girls to wear![/quote:1o6zbyy8] I think the same about wedding dresses. But what scores low on my taste barometer might be high on yours. And vice versa.