POLL: Household Charge - will you pay it ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
Just wondering following 2 TDs saying that they won't pay it - what are your views ? Also read somewhere yesterday that there will be a €10 "admin fee" if you don't pay it over the Internet and want to pay it in person in cash at the Local Authority O:| Think that is ridiculous - a lot of older people will have no choice but to pay it in person.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I ticked 'Undecided but leaning towards Yes.' I probably will pay it but I hate the idea of it. I think it's unfair and unnecessary. If the Government wants to introduce water and property charges, let them. Most countries have them, water is a resource and there is an awful lot of waste in Ireland. Mainly due to leaky pipes and badly done work. So if the Government wants to introduce usage water charges and use that money to upgrade the system for everyone, then do it. If they want to introduce property tax, put it to the people. But this half as*sed interim 'household' charge is just crazy. Pure money grabbing and so very typically Irish. We want to charge you for water and property, but while the Celtic Tiger was roaring we didn't bother our holes to do anythign about the terrible water system, like, you know buy water meters, or put together a feasible plan for the country. And we didn't give a second thought to raising revenue from property. So now we're in the sh*its we're panicking and going to put through water and property charges in 2013...but until then, until we get our act together, gis a hundred euro. Gis it! Oh and that breathing tax is on the way too. It's just half as*sed. Interim my hole. Either introduce a property and water tax - a fully researched and thought out and feasible property and water tax - or don't. Interim my hole. That said, I can't afford the fine if I don't pay. And I won't go to prison either. So I probably will end up paying it, like the defeatist that I am.
SunnyK Posts: 3834
[quote="Smileykaz":26thnggk]That said, I can't afford the fine if I don't pay. And I won't go to prison either. So I probably will end up paying it, like the defeatist that I am.[/quote:26thnggk] That's exactly why I ticked "Yes" - I will pay it cos I'm not forking out double for the fine plus the arrears etc, I just can't afford to pay that - so like the wuss that I am I will pay it :-8
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
I will be paying it, if its anything like the bin charges, Everyone said in the beginning "dont pay" so I didnt, was then stuck with a €500 charge, defo wont be doing that again in a hurry :wv
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
[quote="Mrs Summer":85k63u3x]I will be paying it, if its anything like the bin charges, Everyone said in the beginning "dont pay" so I didnt, was then stuck with a €500 charge, defo wont be doing that again in a hurry :wv[/quote:85k63u3x] This is what I'm thinking Mrs Summer. There was a huge campaign about that and people even went to prison. I really don't want to go to prison. And that campaign kinda petered out and those who had refused to pay were left high and dry. But I hate myself for paying it!
paperclips Posts: 3146
Undecided but leaning towards Yes. I absolutely hate the thoughts of this charge. Effectively we are paying to live in our own homes. I would like a guarantee that every penny of this household charge is going towards paying off the bail out debt. If this money was going towards other things like fattening TDs pensions/wages or public service wages or pensions and not 100% going towards the bail out debt then I will find it difficult to pay it. We pay tax to work, We pay tax to live in our homes, we pay tax to drink the water in our homes, we pay tax to drive our cars on roads, we pay tax to watch our TVs, we pay tax to eat, the list goes on and on. Does anyone know if the tax exemption for "Artists" in this country has been scrapped? Maybe I'll write a book or sing a couple of songs and see if I can get myself exempt from paying taxes Does anyone get value for money from the state services in this country?
LastRolo Posts: 6892
I voted Yes. Heard on the radio that the fine for not paying could be €2,500! I agree with SmileyKaz on the water charges point. Fair enough on the water charges as its fair what you use is what you pay - a fair policy. Water is a scarce resource and lots of private houses in the country already have metered water and pay to a private water scheme - so why shouldn't everyone else?? Plus the money could go towards so much needed upgrading of the water system in Ireland.
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
Yes, I will pay it but it will be with the same reluctance and grudging I pay my TV license. I accept everything else I pay for and discharge them straight away as I just dread seeing arrears letters and notices arriving in post but paying for something for which I get a big fat zilch in return really f[i:106m5cbw]u[/i:106m5cbw]cking bugs me. I have no problem paying water charges, but if and when they are introduced I will expect to be supplied with water 365 days a year, not cut off for conservation purposes because the temperature reaches 20 degrees for 3 days during the year and not because the water is frozen outside in the mains for 3 or 4 weeks during the winter. I will be deducting on a pro rata basis and I don't care what the consequences of my actions are. This is one I'm prepared to stand my ground on.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="Jane Smith":12c40q3f]Yes, I will pay it but it will be with the same reluctance and grudging I pay my TV license. I accept everything else I pay for and discharge them straight away as I just dread seeing arrears letters and notices arriving in post but paying for something for which I get a big fat zilch in return really f[i:12c40q3f]u[/i:12c40q3f]cking bugs me. I have no problem paying water charges, but if and when they are introduced I will expect to be supplied with water 365 days a year, not cut off for conservation purposes because the temperature reaches 20 degrees for 3 days during the year and not because the water is frozen outside in the mains for 3 or 4 weeks during the winter. I will be deducting on a pro rata basis and I don't care what the consequences of my actions are. This is one I'm prepared to stand my ground on.[/quote:12c40q3f] Oooops - TV licence, I knew I forgot something!
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
I haven't voted as I live outside Ireland. But I think there should be water charges in Ireland. The system is so poor at the moment, I think it is fair to charge for water IF the system is upgraded and managed correctly to avoid wastage and shortages. I agree with Kaz's point of view that this levy is a cack-handed panic measure. It makes the government look like eejits in my opinion, no sign of mature reflection or strategic thinking. Saw this in the Indo as well which is shocking: http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 62913.html