POLL:how much wine do you really drink in a week?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

errigal08 Posts: 1302
im interested in this,just seeing all the ad's on the tv and listening to the ones on the radio giving warnings about too much drinking and from what i can see most of it is directed at us wine drinkers or women to be exact...i love my wine i love it so much i have 3 bottles a week, saturday night because its the start of the weekend for me, sunday night because im off mondays and tuesday night because all my good programme's are on :-8 am i alone here? im going to do a poll aswel
Rogue User Posts: 6101
I'm not a big drinker and I never drink wine. I might have a pint with the lads at the weekend but three is enough for me. I used to be a party animal, wild as they come, but it just got exhausting and now I can't handle any more than three pints.
DollyP Posts: 955
If we are staying in at the weekends we usually go through a bottle on Friday night and a bottle on Saturday night (between us). I would drink a lot more if we are out but that is rare these days!
Jacqueline Hyde Posts: 1145
It really really depends on the week that's in it. I go through phases on consumption, but my god do I :lvs wine
seans missus Posts: 1381
I usually have a bottle of wine for Friday night and have another one in the cupboard for Saturday night. If I'm tired on Friday/have had a long and bad week at work, I could have anything from half a bottle to 1 and a half bottles on Friday night. Trying to cut it down and am off it for Lent anyway.
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
I ticked none because I would drink on average about once a month or even less. Neither OH or I are big drinkers. I do like the odd glass of white wine but since I stopped smoking a few years ago its easier not to.
Jawl Posts: 8881
I share a bottle with my Mam on Friday nights, so 2 or 2.5 glasses on a Friday. I go out with Mr. Jawl every Saturday, and drink a short. If I stay in on Sundays I might have a glass, 2 at most, but I don't bother with it during the week. I look forward it to it more then on the weekends. I was off work today though, so had a glass last night. A rare treat. O-O
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I don't drink at all. I used to and when I was younger I could drink an awful lot and not suffer from hangovers. But as I got older I could handle my drink less and less. I never drank wine. Usually drank a bacardi and Coke or a bottle of Bacardi Breezer. Before I gave up alchohol I'd probably have five or six Bacardi Breezers on a Saturday night but that would generally be it. I never drank at home in front of the TV, usually just on a night out. Now of course I'd have the girls over and we'd have drinks and nibbles like and watch a movie so I'd drink then. But on an ordinary night just watching TV by myself I never drank, I just had no interest in it. It's mad how it adds up though, alcohol. Even though I wouldn't have considered myself a big drinker before I gave up, those five or six Bacardi Breezers probably put me over the recommended limit of 14 units of alcohol a week. I was deffo over the daily limit (three units) for sure. A bottle of wine (750ml) has nine units of alcohol in it. So three bottles a week is 27 units, well over the 14 units guideline. It's mad when you think of it cos if someone said to me 'ah yeah I have a bottle of wine on Friday and Saturday night' I wouldn't think twice about it. But it's actually a huge amount of alcohol.
HippyChic Posts: 1812
None - I'd only drink on special occasions really and even then not much. Think I was drunk/tipsy 2, maybe 3, times last year. God, my teenage self would think I've turned into an awful aul one - Like BOR I was a WILD child :o0
errigal08 Posts: 1302
[quote="Smileykaz":1fdrkxnp]I don't drink at all. I used to and when I was younger I could drink an awful lot and not suffer from hangovers. But as I got older I could handle my drink less and less. I never drank wine. Usually drank a bacardi and Coke or a bottle of Bacardi Breezer. Before I gave up alchohol I'd probably have five or six Bacardi Breezers on a Saturday night but that would generally be it. I never drank at home in front of the TV, usually just on a night out. Now of course I'd have the girls over and we'd have drinks and nibbles like and watch a movie so I'd drink then. But on an ordinary night just watching TV by myself I never drank, I just had no interest in it. It's mad how it adds up though, alcohol. Even though I wouldn't have considered myself a big drinker before I gave up, those five or six Bacardi Breezers probably put me over the recommended limit of 14 units of alcohol a week. I was deffo over the daily limit (three units) for sure. A bottle of wine (750ml) has nine units of alcohol in it. So three bottles a week is 27 units, well over the 14 units guideline. It's mad when you think of it cos if someone said to me 'ah yeah I have a bottle of wine on Friday and Saturday night' I wouldn't think twice about it. But it's actually a huge amount of alcohol.[/quote:1fdrkxnp] ohh no,i was told there are 7 units in a bottle,jes i feel worse now! our life assurance/insurance(not sure which term is right) guy was out with us and he was asking how many units i drank i said ohh i havent a clue,he said there are 7 in a bottle of wine and women are recommended to have 14,my husband was like"ahh put her down for 28" :eek i could have killed him!! it is scary how the units add up alright