Menu

POLL: Pay for Parking or bus?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

teatimebride Posts: 754
Hi everyone, my venue charges €3 for my guests to park in the car park. I'm having around 160 to the full wedding and not expecting a huge amount for the afters as its a Thursday wedding. I'm happy to cover the parking for my guests whether they are staying there or not but some people may prefer a bus if they want to leave the car at home so was just wondering what you all thought?
MrsOC2012 Posts: 595
Hey, I didn't actually vote as I wouldn't expect the B&G to pay for any of this! I really don't think it's necessary!
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
[quote="MrsOC2012":3u6dxxiw]Hey, I didn't actually vote as I wouldn't expect the B&G to pay for any of this! I really don't think it's necessary![/quote:3u6dxxiw] +1 there is no need for you to pay for anything
teatimebride Posts: 754
Thanks for the replies guys. I suppose I feel a little guilty for having my wedding on a Thursday so I would like to do some sort of a little gesture like this. It was my parents that brought it up actually, they went to see the hotel last week and loved it but had concerns about people being charged for parking. I shouldn't think it would cost me more than €200-€250.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
That's really generous of you but I don't think it's necessary, honestly, no-one will be expecting this. A bus is lovely of course, but often it ends up empty bar a handful of people as a lot of people do prefer to drive and stay in the hotel or even drive and one of them is on the Cokes for the night. Not a single guest will expect their €3 parking ticket to be covered, they really won't. My wedding is a Thursday as well and I appreciate people have to take the day off work. What we're doing to compensate for that in a way is: Providing food from the moment they walk into the hotel at 3.30pm right up to the residents' bar at 3am. Providing a shed load of wine at the dinner Getting a great room rate for the night of the wedding of €75 B&B for a double room Not having a dress code so people don't have to hire suits or wear anything in particular NOt having a gift list or asking for any gifts in particular So we're hoping this keeps costs down a bit for guests as they can wear an outfit/suit they already have, won't have to pay for any food for the whole day and won't be expected to bring any gift at all. I know it'll still be an expense on them however, we're just hoping these few measures help a bit But I don't think you have to cover their parking, I don't think they'd begrudge you €3!!
crazyinlove78 Posts: 933
I'm getting married on a thurs too...eventhough parking not an issue, if ut was don't think it would have even crossed my mind to pay for parking...I don't think any guest would expect it, thurs or anyday
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I have to agree with the others, i don't think you need to pay, €3 is nothing and i for one wouldn't mind paying it
MBM Posts: 72
At the risk of sounding a bit demanding here....don't you DARE pay for it! If you're bringing 160 people to that hotel on a Thursday night then tell the hotel to waive the costs! It's not much money but on principal alone...that would be a deal breaker for me!
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
I completely agree with the others. If I was going to a wedding where there was paid parking I'd just pay it. It wouldn't even enter my mind that the cost should be covered by the couple! I don't think you should pay it at all!
Bellisima Posts: 3583
[quote="Michael Banks":2gu2f9qo]At the risk of sounding a bit demanding here....don't you DARE pay for it! If you're bringing 160 people to that hotel on a Thursday night then tell the hotel to waive the costs! It's not much money but on principal alone...that would be a deal breaker for me![/quote:2gu2f9qo] I agree with this! Even if the hotel wont pay it I wouldnt pay it if I was you - I think its unnecessary!