Poll: Would you re-style your e-ring ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
Met a girl I used to be quite friendly with today at lunchtime and I noticed that she had a different engagement ring from last time I saw her. She used to have a small solitaire which really suited her hand (i remember it because I always really liked it) but now it's a huge 3 stone one. She saw me looking at her hand and said "Oh - my DH got it re-styled for me for my birthday" She got 3 new large diamonds and the existing diamond made into a pendant. I had never heard of this before - for me my engagement ring is and always will be the one DH bought for me when we got engaged. TBH I don't like what this girl has done to the ring - it;s huge now and looks a bit ridiculous with her wedding band. So just wondering........
lux Posts: 6270
I'd have no problem with it. I think some rings can look very old fashioned and I can see myself wearing my ring on my right hand after we're married as its quite big and two rings together might be a bit much. I might get it done in the future although I'm not sure what could be done-I've a 1.5 c square sapphire with 28 small diamonds around it and diamonds on the band, so its a lot of bling!
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
But surely that’s a new ring rather than a restyling? Anyway- yes I would if I wanted to is the simplest answer I could give you. I don’t want to now as I love my ring but if 5-10 years down the line I felt like a change then I wouldn’t have any problem doing it. My only problem is that my w-ring has a little twist in it which accommodates my e-ring so I’d have to consider how they would fit as I wouldn’t want to have to get a new w-ring too!
bridalnowmam Posts: 2202
Friend of mine done this and it is really lovely I wouldnt tho, its just that when my hubby bought it for me i liked it, yes i have a more expensive eternity ring now with bigger diamonds but i would never change my engagement ring because i love it, it was the start of the 'together forever phase' and i just dont think that i want to change something that personal Maybe thats just me tho !!
Jawl Posts: 8881
No, I wouldn't. It's the ring I got engaged with and I'd like to keep it. I love it as well though. My friend got engaged 10 years ago. Never married. And she bought herself a new one for xmas as she felt the other one dated. I can't see that happening mine, Mr. Jawls sister has one similar and she's married 25 years and my SIL has one similar and she's had it 14 years so seems they don't date.
luckyladee Posts: 2550
I've had mine re-set (as opposed to re-styled). We bought my ring for the stone, and the amazing value we got through buying in a specific way. I was in a white gold basket setting - which never really floated my boat. I kept it as it was until such a time as we picked our wedding rings so I'd know what metal I was going for - went for palladium. Then had the stone from ering (was, and still is, a round solitaire) re-set into a new palladium ring made to match my wedding ring. I'm really happy with how it all worked out.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
I wouldn't, I absolutely adore my ring - was only gazing at it again yesterday! But apart from loving the style of it, it has such sentimental value too - that's the ring H2B gave me in that moment that we got engaged (vom, sorry!) I don't get the "restyle" bit either - why don't you just say "I got a new ring"? My Mam got entirely new engagement and wedding rings a few years ago and I have always found it odd that she calls them her engagement and wedding rings now. I always think "But they're not, They're in a drawer somewhere!"
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have a solitaire and was thinking about adding a halo to it. I would make sure that the same ring was melted down and the same platinum was re-set and I don't think I would ever change the diamond. Upgrading diamonds is common pratice in the states i.e upgrading to a bigger diamond for an anniversary or birthday - not sure this is for me though.
Elle Driver Posts: 508
I'd never want to change my engagement ring. It has so much sentimental value, I could never image wanting to change it. I remember a few years ago on WOL some people were 'upgrading' their diamonds, and there was plenty of debate over that. I just never understood it really. For me it's not what it looks like or the size of the diamond, it's the sentiment.
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
Ehm, I don't have a problem with it and in fact we changed my e-ring from yellow gold to white gold although we didn't touch the diamond. It looks far better in white gold as the diamond itself is set into white gold claws or whatever you call them. I :lvs it