Portmarnock Golf and Country Club

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

blushinggroom2011 Posts: 4
Hi, If anyone has had their wedding, attended someone elses or is considering a wedding here can you let me know what you think of the place? Was the experience good or bad? As many details as possible please! Thanks
DipDab Posts: 1172
I went to view this place recently but decided against it. I love the location but there were a few things that put me off. They don't reserve the bar for pre-meal drinks so you could easily be sharing it with a lot of other people. The tea/coffee is served in the corridor. The day i was viewing a bus load of golfers arrived and headed straight for the bar, considering i'll have a large enough group i didn't want them squashed in with people i don't know. There are no windows in the main room so its quite dark. Okay for a winter wedding but mine will be summer. Apparently they are going to knock through one of the walls to bring in light but its hard to know if that will definately be done and what it will look like (it seemed as though the windows would be looking out at the car park). The bar is in a separate room, which its something i could get over if it wasn't for the fact that i thought it was a better room! There were plenty of windows and light and a big bar so i can just imagine people wanting to stay there if it was a nice day. Also they were quite expensive compared to other places i saw. On the flip side, they do have a good reputation and i have heard that they are good for weddings.
Thanks for that, certainly food for thought! Where else did you see that you thought was better or if you don't mind me asking where did you book? Thanks a mil!
Redpunto Posts: 224
DIdnt think the place matched the price tag :-) The Grand is beautiful but very expenisve, Sands is cheap but you get what you pay for.
Thanks, I think they've a wedding fair in a couple of weeks so I'll pop along and have a look and we'll make our minds up after that. I've also heard the Grand has dropped it's prices so I'm going to have to call in to them at some point!
DipDab Posts: 1172
I went to see the Grand, the Waterside in Donabate, Clontarf Castle, Thomas Prior at bewleys in Ballsbridge. I booked Clontarf in the end. I thought the grand was just okay - very pricey also.
Representing for North Dublin! Cool, thanks.