Positve Tests at home - Negative in Doctors Surgery???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mcglick Posts: 463
Hi Ladies Im just popping over from the TTC board to see if anyone can advise me with my problem. Im due AF tomorrow ( this is only a guess as its my 1st month off the pill) I have been feeling "funny" the past few days so decided to chance a FR test yesterday morning, 2nd wee of the day and a faint 2nd line came up ....now girls its a faint line......but defo there. So I had an appointment with my new GP yesterday anyways for a check on my blood pressure ( its been high the past few weeks and they are monitoring) and I mentioned I did 2 tests with faint lines, produced them over the table and he says, well my girl they look pretty positive to me. Well I was chuffed ! Then he says, sure we'll do one of my ones to confirm it - and whatta ya know BFN O:| O:| O:| He says something was coming up in the first few seconds but it faded and nothing else happened, the screen was totally blank after a good 5 mins. So he says I probably am preggers, but to drop a sample of a 1st wee of the day into him in today and we see what the story is. Went up this morning with a sample of my first wee and he was busy so went to the nurse - had done another FR this morning at home and that was another positive, not as faint as yesterday, still not a big juicy line though IYKWIM. So explained the story to her and she did one of the surgery tests and whatta ya know...BFN again!!! O:| O:| O:| She said from looking at my home tests its a positive but from theirs if I was just walking in off the street for routine test she would take it as a negative straight away. She said wait a WEEK :eek before I test again as tests are so expensive etc. And that the doc wont go any further with examination or refferal til he gets a positive test on his ones. So im really in limbo, i keep staring at the positive FR tests wondering if i am or not? Im holding off telling hubbie til I get the A OK from the doc. i dont want to drop the bomb as they say til its 100% ...So for now Im confused ......Im wondering that this is somehow "one of those things" Ive read too much today on the net about woman getting their period after a positive test. Any advise you can give me girls??? (apart from wait another week :o0 )
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
all i can say is that the digital and first response tests that you buy are more sensitive to the ones used by most gps and hospitals so perhaps this is the reason for the difference? perhpas you are not due AF for a few more days hense the faint lines, but to be honest a line is a line IMO. if i were you id test again with the first sample of the day and when you get a strong line/positive id go back to the doc (for me i got faint lines for 3 days before i got a proper one). sorry for the ramble, hope it all works out for you *)
Poppit Posts: 2042
Hi, I know exactly what you are going through. The same thing happened me when i got my BFP. I tested using FP at 10dpo and got very faint line. Tested again with first wee next morn and got another faint line. Bought digital and got "Pregnant", then tested again later that day with another digital and again "pregnant" popped up. I was absolutely over the moon as we had been trying for 14 months and i just knew in my heart this was it. Made appointment to see doc and brought the 4 tests up and he looked at them and congratulated me and said he would do a test just to confirm, but going by the tests i had i was definitley preggers, but as it was before my AF was due, he would do test. Waited for 5 mins for his test to work and it was negative. I was gutted. He said he still thought mine were correct as theirs are useless and not sensitive like HPT and told me to come back in a week and a half :eek It was the longest 10 days ever. Hubby was afraid to get excited and just kept saying lets wait and see. It was horrible. Really took the excitement out of it... I bought a few more tests and brought them all back in with me the next doc visit and showed him. The look on his face :-8 He tested again and it came up positive straight away. If I were you, I would get clearblue digital just to put your mind at rest as it will tell you either way. Best of luck next week.
Thanks for the reply ladies, it seems to be a regular thing, so thats settled me a bit ....hopefuly wont have to wait long to get the + :o)ll or - :o(
rushinbride Posts: 1097
Hey, I think just as poppit said, get a clearblue digital...there are no lines to blind yourself looking at trying to figure out if its a line or not...the clearblue is simply - pregnant, or not pregnant...the words aren't paler or darker depending on how far gone you are - they are simply black & white clear as day...I did it myself and tbh just staring at the word 'pregnant' is absolutely fantastic...best of luck pet, hope you are, and the girls are right what the gp's use are basic run of the mill tests.... i used a tesco brand test once and it looks EXACTLY like my gp's tests!!! Anyway best of luck
gogglebox Posts: 910
The early tests are much more sensitive - 10 miu is what they measure (this is the amount of HCG) versus 25 miu which is a regular pregnancy test, so this may be why the Dr. can't pick it up yet, because the levels aren't high enough for his test to register. One thing I'd say is that a positive is a positive, and once it's getting darker, and not lighter, then you're doing ok - they say that the pregnancy hormone doubles every 2 days, so if you test in another couple of days time, you should see a marked difference in the strength of the result - if so... take it that you're PREGNANT!!! :o)ll
MeWimmysBaby Posts: 456
Just to add something else into the loop. When I went to doctor after doing a home test she just said "well if you got a positive then there is no point in me doing another one". Apparently a positive is a positive...well according to my doctor anyway... and I was!
andypandy28 Posts: 553
I did my test at home and it wa a positive but in docs was a negative, the docs tests are not very good at all, so dont worry, 9 months on I had a wee baby. The home pg tests are far better than the one's in the docs so CONGRATS :o)ll
Hi girls, just to update got a BFP in the doctors today :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
andypandy28 Posts: 553
Congrats, I knew you would. :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll