Possibily a stupid question about pregnancy and weight gain

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
Ok girls - I apologise for my ignorance on this. I don’t have any children myself but hoping to start trying after the wedding is over. Anyway thinking about pregnancy etc Im just wondering what causes the weight gain? Obviously the baby itself!! (Im not that stupid !!) but what else? Does your appetite increase a lot? Im not a girl that exercises at all so I know that lack of that wont make me put on weight. Is it fluid retention? And what about when the baby is born? Is it true that if you breast feed you will lose a lot of weight? Don’t get me wrong - Im not a diet freak - its just something I don’t understand fully. Personally I plan to eat a lot better (more fruit and veg etc) when pregnant so I amy lose some weight (no more chinese!). Just wondering how the body works I suppose during pregnancy. Thanks!
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:2v3zyyrl]I think everyone's body is completely different so everyone will gain different weights during pregnancy!! Some people retain a lot of fluids and some don't!! Some people spread, some don't!! My own appetite hasn't increased, if anything, I eat less in size of portions but more often IYKWIM!! Just found this: Let's say your baby weighs in at 7 or 8 pounds. That accounts for some of your pregnancy weight gain. But what about the rest? Here's a sample breakdown: Baby: 7 to 8 pounds Larger breasts: 1 to 3 pounds Larger uterus: 2 pounds Placenta: 1 1/2 pounds Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds Increased blood volume: 3 to 4 pounds Increased fluid volume: 2 to 3 pounds Fat stores: 6 to 8 pounds As far as I know breastfeeding does help you to loose the weight, so my friends have said anyhoo!![/color:2v3zyyrl]
charli Posts: 5994
the average weight gain is 2 stone (28lbs) but average baby is about 7.5lbs so the rest is made up of placenta/amniotic fluid/heavier breasts i have a mag at home and it breaks down the weight gain into the different things wish i could remember now i put on 2 stone, 1 stone approx was lost at birth between baby and all goo that comes out too!! about another half stone i lost in first few months breast feeding and was left with last half stone which i gradually lost when i went back to work dont know if that answer your question!
charli Posts: 5994
Christmas B think we posted at same time !! though your answer better explains :wv
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
The girls broke it down very well. That should be what you gain, but i know some people eat a lot more (eating for 2 when one is the size of an apple!) As for me im only 11 weeks but i have lost weight. This seems to be fairly common in early pregnancy, im finding it very difficult to eat with morning sickness. Speaking of Chinese i had one last night and it was the first thing in 6 weeks i actually enjoyed eating.... yummy...... I heard breast feeding can burn 500 calories a day, and i know a few girls who lost about 1/2 stone doing this.
Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
Thanks so much girls! I understand now. H2B's uncle had a baby boy last night - Im dying to see him. no name yet
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I think its better to be big than small(maybe its because im big im saying this :o0 ) Just worked out what weight I am and nearly fell off my chair!!!!!
pattie Posts: 2379
I think it varies hugely. I was fairly slim before becoming pg, 9st 12lbs and 5'9, but that was through not eating so well. If I ate what I really wanted all the time I'd be more like 10 and a half stone I reckon, that was my weight till I was in my late 20s. I lost weight through stress and decided to keep it off afterwards. Since becoming pg I've put on at least half a stone over what's recommended, I think it's my body going back to its old comfort zone, plus the normal pregnancy weight. I'm not really bothered, I hope to breastfeed and go for loads of walks after the baby's born, plus eat less! So I don't think it will be too hard getting back to normal, I'll give myself a few months to do it. But as others have said, it's really common to actually lose weight in the first trimester before you begin gaining again, healthy weight gain is anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5 stone.